Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

PCM Failure---help this mom understand--please

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 08:05 PM
mommasride
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM Failure---help this mom understand--please

Yes--I am a newbie to this forum. I appreciate all the knowledge you all have and have searched here before.

I am a "refuse the minivan" gal that drives my 3 kids around in my "cool vanilla" 05 2.7 Magnum. I love it and have since the moment I fist saw one. I have just over 24K on mine and hope you guys can help w/ my question.

I had the check engine light come on, took it in and they said code 3, engine misfire. Needed to investigate to see if it was the valve or sparkplug or what. Apparently it is the PCM. Tech manager said they had never seen this before on a magnum. I want to know if this is a common thing, and what consequential damage could have been done. Hubby is pressing me to dump the car. (the check engine light was on the moment I drove it off the lot) at 70 miles---said it was a gas cap problem then. I wonder. Any insight would greatly be appreciated by this momma that wants to keep her ride.

Reesa

Old 10-24-2006, 12:09 PM
MyRT
Professional
Default RE: PCM Failure---help this mom understand--please

Welcome to the forum, sorry for your problems. I have not heard of this one yet. I hope the dealer will get it fixed.

Old 10-24-2006, 01:24 PM
Suipsycho

I had an issue with engine misfire as well , the tech at our local dealer suggested I run medium grade or higher fuel as the 87 octane fuel was known to cause this. It has been over amonth with no issues until I forgot and put in 87 fuel again, then more random misfires. If you are using low grade fuel try running medium grade and see.

Best of luck , hope it is something as simple for you as it was for me.

~Suipsycho

Old 10-24-2006, 01:39 PM
TorqueWinsRaces

ORIGINAL: mommasride

Yes--I am a newbie to this forum. I appreciate all the knowledge you all have and have searched here before.

I am a "refuse the minivan" gal that drives my 3 kids around in my "cool vanilla" 05 2.7 Magnum. I love it and have since the moment I fist saw one. I have just over 24K on mine and hope you guys can help w/ my question.

I had the check engine light come on, took it in and they said code 3, engine misfire. Needed to investigate to see if it was the valve or sparkplug or what. Apparently it is the PCM. Tech manager said they had never seen this before on a magnum. I want to know if this is a common thing, and what consequential damage could have been done. Hubby is pressing me to dump the car. (the check engine light was on the moment I drove it off the lot) at 70 miles---said it was a gas cap problem then. I wonder. Any insight would greatly be appreciated by this momma that wants to keep her ride.

Reesa
It's true. A loose gas cap really can set an SES code. I won't go into the reasons why as I'm sure you don't care about the details.

It sounds to me like the tech knows what he's talking about. Bottom line is that if they replace the PCM and it doesn't fix your problem it won't cost you anything but a little time and it will eliminate one possible cause of the code you are experiencing. Obviously that isn't the best way to troubleshoot and fix a problem, but if it's under warranty and Dodge is paying for it, let 'em figure it out on their own.

Regarding what Suipsycho said about the octane- if the engine is designed to run with 87 octane it should not set misfire codes with 87.

Symptoms

Symptoms may include:
the engine may be harder to start
the engine may stumble / stumble, and/or hesitate
other symptoms may also be present

Causes

A code P0303 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

Faulty spark plug or wire
Faulty coil (pack)
Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
Faulty fuel injector
Burned exhaust valve
Faulty catalytic converter(s)
Running out of fuel
Poor compression
Defective computer

Possible Solutions

If there are no symptoms, the simplest thing to do is to reset the code and see if it comes back.

If there are symptoms such as the engine is stumbling or hesitating, check all wiring and connectors that lead to the cylinders (i.e. spark plugs). Depending on how long the ignition components have been in the car, it may be a good idea to replace them as part of your regular maintenance schedule. I would suggest spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap, and rotor (if applicable). Otherwise, check the coils (a.k.a. coil packs). In some cases, the catalytic converter has gone bad. If you smell rotten eggs in the exhaust, your cat converter needs to be replaced. I've also heard in other cases the problems were faulty fuel injectors.
Source

Old 10-24-2006, 01:52 PM
TorqueWinsRaces

I wanted to add one other thing. Just because the tech said that he'd never seen that particular failure doesn't mean that it can't happen. I would say that if his statement is true, then it is a testament to the quality of the Dodge ignition system. There is no way that they are getting a 0% failure rate with their PCM's- I mean, at least one is going to fail, it's just simple statistics. You may just be one of the unlucky people who got a bad PCM. It happens, that doesn't mean the vehicle is junk or a lemon or anything like that. Parts fail, it happens, it's to be expected. What separates good companies from bad companies is how those failures are acknowledged and rectified.

Old 10-24-2006, 02:58 PM
Suipsycho

I should comment that he mentioned the additives in the fuel used in Arizona to help keep the air cleaner. I'm not sure if all states do this , but Arizona does.

But I would most definately do as your tech suggested. I was just offering input as to what seemed to have caused my issue, as it may be something that simple.

Old 10-24-2006, 07:32 PM
mommasride

Hey guys, thanks for all your responses. I talked w/ the tech today and now they have put in the new PCM and it shows the same code. So, they are still investigating. I hope it is something easy. I do wonder about the fuel, I did just put 87 in at a store i don't normall fill at and the code first went off right after fueling. coincidence or fuel cap, maybe fuel injector. I am still waiting, and wondering and resting in my 3 year 36k warranty. I 'll keep you posted.

Old 10-24-2006, 09:04 PM
mommasride

tech says the fuel injection is only 1/2 working. They are spraying that tomorrow. We shall see.

Old 10-25-2006, 03:28 AM
TorqueWinsRaces

ORIGINAL: mommasride

tech says the fuel injection is only 1/2 working. They are spraying that tomorrow. We shall see.
If I understand your meaning it sounds like you may have a bad fuel pump/pressure regulator. Proper fuel pressure is critical in a fuel injected engine and that can absolutely cause that code.

Good luck. It sounds like your dealership is treating you right. That is soooo important. I'm having a nightmare scenario dealing with Ford on our crappy factory nav system. [:@]

Old 10-25-2006, 03:37 PM
mommasride

Hey guys--thought I would give the final diagnosis and then you can help me determine if i need a new service team. Service advisor, stinks, the tech is the only one that gave good info.

the team flashed the PCM because they thought it had a rough idle---(i never complained of this)
upon flashing the pcm, it failed---locked up
put in a new pcm, and code 3 returned
they performed an induction on the fuel injection and were good to go

Hope the car runs the same----I have heard you guys say not to let them flash the pcm, and it was the first thing they did before i new anybetter......it pays to learn

thanks for your help.

reesa