Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Warranty / Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 01:37 PM
HemiMag
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Warranty / Exhaust

Nick,

How is the performance? Any increase or decrease? I am hearing
of backpressure issues.

Rex

Old 07-27-2004, 01:48 PM
blackmagnumrt
Professional

I have yet to have the car dynoed but I can say for sure that there has been no loss of power in my case. In fact, my "seat of the pants" dyno tells me that I picked up a few ponies from this mod. No sluggishness or other performance problems whatsoever. I can't wait to open up the intake side so that I can get more air in to balance the less restrictive exhaust. I would have normally done these things in tandem but I just couldn't wait to hear the Hemi as it was intended to sound. Hopefully, my intake is just days away.

Nick

Old 07-28-2004, 02:12 AM
Tedman5
Rookie

I noticed a little extra low end since the exchange was done. Unless I'm imagining that.

Old 07-28-2004, 07:33 PM
fullauto

Ok, I'm going in tomorow morning to have the exhaust done. I talked to the shop and we're down to $325 for the Flowmasters and installation. That's close enough for me. Thanks for the tips. I'll let everyone know how it sounds and runs.

For those of you who have put the Flowmasters on and left the resonators in place, are you getting a pretty throaty sound out of your cars? I mean, when it idles can you tell it's no your regular family sedan? When you goose it a little on the highway to pass, does it give off a nice, mean tone? Or do I have to chop the resonators off to get this type of exhaust note?

Thanks!

Tim

Old 07-29-2004, 02:05 PM
HemiMag
Veteran

Does anyone have any opinions about Dynomax? I sent them a note
about a catback kit....this was their reply.....

"Thank you for your inquiry for Dynomax Exhaust. We appreciate your
interest in our products. This is something Engineering looking at but
have not released any part numbers for. Watch the new product
announcements on our website for new part number releases."

Just curious if their is a differance between Flowmaster and Dynomax.

Old 07-29-2004, 08:03 PM
fullauto

Alright, it's done. I cut off the stock 'suitcase' muffler and left the rear "finals" (really secondary mufflers given their size) in place. I took it for a test drive... it was ok, but you could still barely tell the exhaust note had changed. It still had plenty of pep in it. Oh, I did go with the Flowmaster 40 series.

Back up on the rack it went. I had the guys cut off the secondary mufflers just under the rear bumper. They custom bent the pipe, welded on the factory tips and from the outside you couldn't tell the mod was done. It now sounds like a freaking monster. At highway speeds, if you're using cruise control, the noise isn't bad at all. With the windows down and under full acceleration, it's freaking loud - but it sounds really good.

My concern, with the secondary mufflers removed, the car just seems to be a little weaker on the 0-60 side of things. The engine appears to rev more freely and at the top end it seems to run better... but I think I've traded some low-end grunt for top-end pull.

Will opening up the air intake bring some of the low-end power back? I could be imagining the loss of low-end power, but it just doesn't seem as jumpy as it did stock, or with the secondary mufflers still in place with the Flowmasters up front.

Also, if you listen, you can hear it transition from 4 to 8 cylinders on the highway as the exhaust note is so loud, you can hear the cylinders cut in and out. Pretty strange sounding.

I like it though. Some old man stopped me at a light on the way into the office this morning after having the work done and asked me what kind of car it was. I told him and he said "that's just badass, really really badass!". I smiled and said "thanks".

Tim

Old 07-29-2004, 08:20 PM
blackmagnumrt
Professional

I'm glad to hear you like it. I didn't notice any loss at the low end (in fact, like Tedman5, I felt more low end push). You do have to give your car a couple of hundred miles for the computer realize the mod has been done and adjust accordingly. As to your second question about opening up the front end a bit, it will certainly help but that too is a benefit generally associated with higher rpms. It surely won't hurt you though.

Enjoy the new sound. I suspect you will be using the stereo quite a bit less now!

Nick

Old 07-29-2004, 10:36 PM
brust60

fullauto,

glad you like it - how is the droning ??

Old 07-30-2004, 03:03 PM
fullauto

Here's what it looks like without the secondary mufflers:

Here's a link to a quick video clip I shot in the garage this morning. It's about 2megs in size but you can hear it. It does sound more throaty under load though.

http://www.full-auto.com/images/foru...rt/exhaust.mpg

Tim

Old 07-30-2004, 09:51 PM
david borla

Borla exhaust has released its aftermarket exhaust for the Magnum. Part number 140112 installs using a slip fit connection just after each catalytic converter and is made from full aircraft quality T304 stainless steel. It is a split rear exiting system with two Borla embossed 3 ½” oval, rolled edge, angle cut tips at each opening in the rear valence. This system consists of a 2.25”x-pipe leading to two 19” long, 9 1/2” wide oval mufflers. Exiting each muffler is a 2.25” intermediate pipe to each 11.00” long x 10.00” wide rear muffler/tip assemblies. R&D testing has shown that our system flows up to 220 cfm more than the factory exhaust (for a total flow of 932 cfm @ 70” H2O) and has shown an increase of up to 16 additional horsepower and 8 ft lbs of torque. 140112 weights in at 54 lbs. while the factory system weights in at 83 lbs. 140112 averages 1.5db louder than the factory exhaust.

We will also be releasing an identical system with 5" tips as seen on the "DUB edition" Magnum.

Give us a call at 877-GO-BORLA for more info.

Thanks for your interest.

David Borla
davidb@borla.com

Quick Reply: Warranty / Exhaust