Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Speed density system?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 01:41 AM
weitekampt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed density system?

Did I read correctly where these HEMI's are a speed density system and not a mass air flow? If that is the case, wouldn't you HAVE to reprogram the computer to take advantage of any mods such cold air intake, etc? I have a 1990 ford truck with speed density and when I threw all my go-fast-goodies on it when rebuilt, it ran like crap with different cam, injectors, air intake, etc. I was told this was due to the speed density system.

I just got a magnum and would like to hop it up, but with warranty probably can't do that due to a programmer?

Am I wrong here? Maybe somebody has some info for the new guy on this computer system

Todd

Old 12-15-2006, 10:14 AM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator
Default RE: Speed density system?

Ah, welcome to the land of HAL

You are correct. There's what they call a CANBus that ties the two major components, PCM/TCM (and others), together. HAL is hardware adaptive learning, pue-yuck [:'(]

Start out w/a SuperChips Flashpaq programmer. B&G and others are learning how to tweak these cars, keep an eye out for custom tunes.

Old 12-21-2006, 03:07 PM
weitekampt

So here is a question....if a person installs a cold air intake and possibly a exhaust will the computer be able to take advantage of these changes (more air and free flow exhaust) without doing anything to the computer? I am going to be under warranty for 36k miles and don't want to screw up my warranty. I would assume that a programmer would void warranty? The codes would be stored in memory if it is anything like my ford.

I have plenty of pep due to the hemi, I am just looking to maximize fuel economy. Wife drives it everyday and is very conservative in driving habits. Will a programmer, cold air, or exhaust improve mileage noticably? I did this stuff on my PowerStroke diesel and it went up 2.5mpg. I know on a gas motor it is hard to get improved mileage but want to do whatever I can.

So do programmers improve mileage? Thoughts???

Thanks!

Old 12-21-2006, 03:57 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

Bolt on's like a CAI or Catback will not void the warranty. If there's any issue with a programmerit has to be proved that theprogrammer caused the issue. I believe this is standard across the automotive industry.

Anyhew... Prior to taking the car to a dealership you should use the programmer to return it to the stock program. That was if the dealer will not know and if they flash the PCM it's not going to hose your programmer.

The programmer will improve performance and fuel efficiency. The MPG will depend upon you driving habits.

Quick Reply: Speed density system?