Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

AWD drive train clunk

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 09:02 AM
Mojica
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AWD drive train clunk

I have an 07 awd magnum. At moderate speeds when I let off the throttle (lets say approaching traffic) and then go to resume my speed there is a clunking noise. I assume it’s from the drive shafts engaging. Is that normal for an all wheel drive system? I thought it might be but want to make sure since this is my first awd car.
Thanks

Old 12-19-2006, 11:04 AM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator
Default RE: AWD drive train clunk

It could be a u-joint also or a combo of things. I'd hope that isn't a standard thing for the AWDs but I haven't been in one.

Is this a R/T? If so besides the clunk what do you think of the ride?

Old 12-19-2006, 04:30 PM
darkrt
Professional

No clunks here!

Old 12-19-2006, 05:04 PM
Mojica

Yeah, It's a silver R/T. I love everything about this car. The ride is great and the looks speak for it's self. I can even live with the clunk if it's normal. Not really a big deal because it doesn't always happen but I do want to make sure that there's nothing wrong with the drive train. [/align]

Old 12-19-2006, 07:06 PM
RT 2 NV
Veteran

take it in for the warrenty sercive im sure they will never here it thou of coarse.

Old 12-28-2006, 07:58 PM
Mojica

I took my magnum into the dodge dealer and had the service manager take a ride with me. He herdthe noise and felt thejolt the car gives. When we got back to the shop they put it on a lift and checked the motor mounts, tranny mounts and said the play (back lash) on the rear diff was within specs. They found nothing. They also called Berlin and asked if there were anyother awd vehicles with this type of problem. Nothing. The dealer told me the noise wasprobably due to all the torque the car has and that everything was mechanically sound. There aren't many awd Dodges out here in Germany and mine was the only one the dealer here has been in. So, is it normal? I don't know but if the dealer says it's good I'm happy with it.

Old 01-12-2007, 01:57 PM
king97tut

I have clunking too, at low speeds the driver side front makes a slight clunking sound. I took back, they had for two days and replaced front stablizer arm. When I got it back it was fine for two days, then it started again. Took it back had the service advisor drive it, claims its road noise so I blew it off. Last week Igot new tires at Goodyear since my Contenntals failed after 20,000 milesand that mechanic said he heard the nosie when driving my car in the parking lot. Now I will take the long drive back to the orginal dealer and see what he says. I even had a few other people drive it and say the same thing. You can only feel it at low speeds or over bumps in the road. I think its the joint on the arm turning the front leftwheel thats loose. This will make my fourth trip back to the dealer..first was the tranny leaking thing....2005..should of listened to my friends and waited a couple of years till they had all the bugs worked out of the Magnums.....

Old 01-14-2007, 01:29 PM
breed16

I have an 05' AWD RT and I've had something in the transfercase replace twice, for a clunk at low speed turns like when trying to park the car. I've also had the rear end replaced as well. Hope this helps

Old 01-23-2007, 04:25 PM
Wallyworld Ranger
Rookie

07 AWD Charger w/5000 miles on it.I get the same clunk, thud, jolt (pick your adjective) in between 1 & 2 gear. Not constant but on ocassion. First few times it was after coming to a stopat a traffic light. After sitting for 3-4 seconds the car would jolt as if it was lightly bumper tapped by another vehicle. Anyone picking up a TSB or further info please post it asap.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:53 PM
mackenna
Default 08 Charger AWD RT drive train clunk

Dealer blew me off. They all know the problem with the drive train clunk, just won't do anything about it! Took a mechanic for a ride and he witnessed the clunk. Said something to the service manager upon returning to the dealership out of my ear shot. SM turned to me and said nothing was broken. I thought the reason to take the car in was to arrest a problem before it breaks! Someone is playing possum. Not happy, will not be back to Dodge.

Quick Reply: AWD drive train clunk