Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

WINTER DRIVING??

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 04:00 PM
WHITEBOY04
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WINTER DRIVING??

IM LOOKING AT BUYING A MAGNUM R/T 05 OR 06 BUT IM JUST WONDERING FROM SOME
OF YOU GUYS THAT ALREADY OWN ONE, HOW DOES IT HANDLE WINTER DRIVING?? I LIVENEAR CHICAGO AND SOME TIMES DRIVING CAN BE A PAIN; ESPECIALLY DURING WINTER MONTHS. I WANT A CAR THAT CAN HANDLE DRIVING IN THE SNOW. I UNDERSTAND ITS REAR WHEEL DRIVE SO I WANT TO KNOW WHAT YOUR EXPIRENCES HAVE BEEN. ANY FEEDBACK WOULD BE APPRECIATED...THANKS.

Old 02-14-2007, 04:56 AM
LakeErieFish
Rookie
Default RE: WINTER DRIVING??

Hello,
It's 1:50am here in Erie, PA. just got done shoveling again, 3x since dinner. I have owned my 05' R/T since new with no major complaints except for the winter handling. Budget yourself for a set of brand name snow tires. Better yet, I'd make the seller throw in a set of snow tires to sweeten the deal.The Magnumhasa VERY difficulttime in5+ inchesof snow(common for this area). Even slight hills are challenging. I avoid all hills during the winter season, and the impatient SUV driver riding my bumper doesn't help things either. Fortunately, Idrive under 10miles to work everyday(inner city driving).
Good Luck.

Old 02-14-2007, 06:22 AM
Mojica

Have you thought about an awd magnum? I live in a very hilly area now where the winters can get pretty bad. I own an 07 awd magnum and haven’t had any problems in the snow or on icy roads yet.
I grew up in Chicago and know how slick the roads can get with all the slush. You should be able to get an 06 awd for a good price right now.
awd or rwd the magnum is a great car and either one should perform well in your location.

Old 02-14-2007, 12:25 PM
WHITEBOY04

I HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT THE AWD MAGNUM BUT IM NOT SURE IT WOULD BE WORTH IT SINCE I WOULD ONLY HAVE NEED FOR THE AWD A FEW TIMES. GRANTED THOSE FEW TIMES IT WOULD BE A GREAT HELP. I KNOW THAT SNOW TIRES HELP ALOT AND I HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT MAKING THAT PART OF THE DEAL WHEN I GO TO BUY THE CAR. LUCKY FR ME I TOO ONLY HAVE TO DRIVE ABOUT 10 MILES TO WORK SO THATS A PLUS. HOW'S THE GAS MILEAGE ON THE AWD COMPARED TO THE RWD???

Old 02-15-2007, 04:29 AM
Mojica

Almost all of my driving is on the Autobahn. When I average 80mph I get over 20mpg (20.61 the last time I filled up) but usually it’s around 17mpg because I tend to accelerate hard and drive closer to 90mph if not faster. I think getting 20mpg at that speed is pretty good. Not sure what a rwd magnum is getting.

Old 02-15-2007, 02:16 PM
mitsara

We really havn't had alot of snow since i got the car last year. We just had a snow storm, still running the stock tires. In about 4-5 inches of snow the car is what you would expect from a rear wheel drive car with the tourque it has... A set of winter tires would make it alot better. Other then that, the car drives great in the snow, no issues on hills, stopping.

Old 02-16-2007, 08:40 PM
ROADRAGE R/T

GOOD CHOICE ON WANTING A MAGNUM , I LIVE IN BARRINGTON AND HAVE A 05 R/T . I HAVE GOODYEAR ASSURANCE TIRES ON IT THEY DO SOMEWHAT GOOD I HAVE A DRIVEWAY ON A 45DEGREE ANGLE THATS MY ONLY PROBLEM OTHERWISE THE TRACTIONCONTROL SHUTS IT DOWN TILL YOU GET GOING NEXT WINTER I WILL HAVE BLIZZACKS ON ALL CORNERS HOPE THIS HELPS YOU

Old 02-17-2007, 12:41 AM
PIKE

I just returned from 'what is usually a 3hr trip north' - After 5 hours of driving....2 hours through HEAVY snow I arrived at my friends. My 06 magnum (3.5) handled great on the ice packed highway and on the hilly un-plowed back roads. The traction control system was constantly on and performed great!

That being said, today I got stuck in my girlfrieds driveway...The magnum never had the height or traction to get me through the deep snow drifts......however I blame myself having not had the momentum or a decent set of sneakers.

I find it equal or slightly better then most front wheel sedans that I have owned/drivenin snow driving condition....hell you can't expectalotwith a low set rear wheel drive car.

p.s I'm in Ontario Canada

Old 02-17-2007, 11:16 AM
fr8hauler
Rookie

I've got the original Conti 4x4 Contact tires on my '05 AWD R/T. I'm not happy with them in snow at all, they're not real quiet on dry roads either.
ROADRAGE, are you happy with your Goodyears? I'm looking at ComfortTreads or TripleTreads to replace originals.
I think the car could do real well with decent rubber.
WHITEBOY, with only a 10 mile drive to work, I think your mileage is going to pretty low whatever you get since it will barely have time to warm up.

Old 02-18-2007, 09:38 PM
MAGNUM555
Amateur

I live in the Northwest Suburbs of Chicago. The best purchase I NEVER MADE was an AWD Magnum. I went with the RWD RT model after talking to others as you are doing. These things handles great in the snow. With the traction control technology and a decent set of tires you will not have any issues with hills etc. I have the 20" Tire package from a 300 SRT. They were sporting the F1's but I ditched those before the winter and bought the all season RSA's. I can run them year round. Do yourself a favor and a RWD model unless you live in an igloo.[X(]

Quick Reply: WINTER DRIVING??