Dodge Muscle Cars When it was all about noise and big (and bigger) engines, Dodge and Plymouth ruled the roads. Discuss the Muscle cars that once were within.

64" ALT problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 03:29 PM
CDNFury
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 64" ALT problem

Did a search but could not find anything useful.

I'm replacing the alternator on a 64' Sport Fury, the one I'm taking off looks exactly like the new one with one exception. the new one has two spade connectors marked 'FLD' at a 90 degree angle from each other, where the original only has one spade connector marked 'FLD' (they both have a Ground and Batt connector) Both alts are made by the same company 'Wilson' from Winnipeg Canada

I asked the company why the diffrence and got this as a response

OEM number 3000011 (old ALT) is our part number 90-03-2004 this is an old round back style alternator. 90-03-2004 is case grounded meaning one brush is grounded to the case.

OEM number 3874777 (New ALT)is our part number 90-03-2031 this is a new style square back alternator. 90-03-2031 is an insulated ground unit meaning both brushes are insulated from the ground.

To make the 90-03-2031 work for 90-03-2004 you would have to make up a wire to ground one of the insulated brushes.

So from what I can gather, and my limited knowledge of electric. All I have to do Is hook one of the FLD spade connectors to the incoming wire, and the other to a ground, like the ALT bracket or simply to the ALT case?

my logic tells me that if both FLD brushes are insulated inside if you ground one youu ground both, so if you hook one up to ground and the second to the incoming FLD wire, you are basically grounding the incoming FLD wire? Right?

Anyone have any sugeestions or delt with this in the past?

Old 03-20-2008, 11:46 PM
unclemike
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 64" ALT problem

The company what sold you the alternator is correct. Plug the wire from the voltage regulator on one of the field terminals and ground the other.
Depending on your plans for the car, restoration or hop up, you might want to look into a floating field voltage regulator and connector. You will need it if you intend to run an electronic ignition kit. The floating field setup will have a higher out put that will necessitate a heavier battery wire. Check the output wire on your '64 and compare it with the wire on a later Mopar.

Quick Reply: 64" ALT problem