Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Runs rough unless you shoot carb cleaner in it

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007 | 08:41 PM
neorules
Default Runs rough unless you shoot carb cleaner in it

I have a 95 neon with 150K.
It won't start or run unless you shoot carb cleaner or starter fluid in it.
Once it starts it runs very rough and shakes.
It won't accelerate unless you blip the throttle many times to get the rpms up a litlle at a time.
BUT, if I open the throttle it starts to stall and I squirt carb cleaner in it it revs really quickly like a good car should.
I tried spraying all around the intake and such looking for a vacuum leak but couldn't find one.
Note this is all done with the intake tube removed and the throttle body exposed.
I tried covering part of the intake with my hand and it doesn't seem to affect it unless I cover the entire opening and then it runs smooth for just a second.
Obviously I have either a vacuum leak or something else?
How is the air measured going into the throttle body?
Could it be a bad air sensor or throttle sensor?
timing belt jumped a tooth?

Any suggestions would be great!!!.
The car had a new timing belt at 100K and when it stopped running completely at one point and I replaced the fuel filter and it started running rough like this again....

Old 04-04-2007 | 02:26 PM
gutted
Veteran
Default RE: Runs rough unless you shoot carb cleaner in it

Is it throwing any codes?

Old 04-04-2007 | 03:59 PM
l_pillon
Professional

sounds like its a o2 sensor....not gettin proper acceleration either i bet...car just revs up and then it will feel like its kickin in all of a sudden.....i had a problem on one of my other cars...dodge caravan....ill bet its a o2 sensor....

Old 04-11-2007 | 04:21 PM
neorules

nope doesn't throw codes......
I got an idea that it wasn't getting enough fuel since I could pour gas in the throttle body and it would smooth out / rev ok for a couple of seconds.....
I pulled the fuel rail and rusty sludge ran out of it..... So I must assume the injectors are clogged up....
So I went on ebay and purchased a fuel rail complete with injectors (used) and I got an inline fuel filter from pep boys auto.....
Took the fuel line and put it into a catch pan... At first the "gas" was brownish red until about a half gallon went through then it started to turn clear like it should be... Still when I first crank the motor I may get one or two pieces of rust (not tons of rust like before) in the first few seconds......

So........
I am going to cut the hard plastic line and put the filter inline just to be sure and put the new rail on tonight....
Let you know what happens....

If it runs I will replace the entire fuel line from the rear filter forward....
JC

Old 04-14-2007 | 01:38 AM
ewetho
All Star

Check for vacuum leaks.

Old 04-15-2007 | 04:36 PM
neorules

She Runs great for a 150K car....
It took a few turns of the engine but once the new fuel injectors got pressure it fired right up....
Enough power to spin the wheels LOL.......
So I have it up for sale on craigslist for $650.....
I guess there was crud in the injectors.......
thanks JC

Quick Reply: Runs rough unless you shoot carb cleaner in it