Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Tach Adapter ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004 | 01:10 AM
ryanmills06
|
Rookie
Default Tach Adapter ?

Got a quick question...not sure what the hell is up with this pink though.. I just ordered the msd tach adapter for my 2000 plymouth neon. I have an aftermarket tach and my question is..what wire do I hook up from my engine to the tach adapter to get the tachometer signal...one thing. I do not have a tach in the cluster... Everything else i know how to hook up..thanks alot

Old 09-23-2004 | 06:20 AM
casper
Legend
Default RE: Tach Adapter ?

I had the same problem with mine. If you hook it up off of the coil it will only show half rpm, neons have a split coil pack. I posted this a while ago and am pretty sure it is the grey wire with a black strip comming off of the PCM. I know it is the wire off of the PCM, but search for "tach adapter", on here, that was the title of my post, the info in there is correct, I just can't remember off hand what color the wire was.

Old 09-23-2004 | 01:25 PM
tom
Professional

what is the purpose of the tach adapter. is it for after market tachs, sorry it is a stupid question but it is nice to know

Old 09-23-2004 | 06:16 PM
ryanmills06
|
Rookie

neons have dis or distributorless ignition..i wish i had known this before I bought the tack..Yeah I went to the dealer and it is the black and grey wire running from the pcm.. on my 200 there is i think three wires on the top of the head itself.the black and grey should be the one you hook it up to if he is correct. The tach adapter allows the aftermarket tach to be able to read the rpm's using a aftermarket tach.

Old 09-24-2004 | 05:46 AM
casper
Legend

I have an aftermarket tach and didn't need one. I did make the mistake of buying an Ebay tach, but Autometer will fix that with $175.

Old 09-24-2004 | 01:57 PM
tom
Professional

you see i bought a 2in tach(cause my car in auto and it is the se) from modern performance and it has been on back order. but the thing is when i ordered it they said that it would install right in so i just wanted to make sure i didnt need to buy anything else. but right now i have the gauge cluster from a 02 neon lx with a tach but the miles are off so i decided to buy a mini tach

Old 09-24-2004 | 04:20 PM
casper
Legend

should just wire right in. I could be wrong depending on the rach though.

Old 10-10-2004 | 02:17 PM
GroundControl
Veteran

i have the same problem. would i have to hook the tach adapter up or can i just run the wire from the tach to the pcm alone?

Old 10-10-2004 | 05:25 PM
ryanmills06
|
Rookie

yeah..i tried that..running wire from tach to pcm..problem is..it doesnt read correctly...you need the tach adapter..which I just ordered to allow the rpms to be registered correctly. Without it tach will not read your rpms correctly..

Old 10-11-2004 | 05:48 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

It is also called a tach driver and is required to correctly wire an aftermarket tach to a modern distributorless ignition.

Quick Reply: Tach Adapter ?