Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Turbo Neon project

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 03:40 AM
xtreme1_419
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Neon project

Ok, i am already started in this project. FIrst off i will tell you what i have ordered and gotten so far.

Garrett T25 Turbo----On its way
Turbo manifold for a T3 to fit a SOHC--- Ships monday
T25 flange to replace the T3 flang on manifold----- on its way
Walbro 255 lph fuel pump----- Already got
Boost gauge---- Already got
AOEB, i made it myself---- imade it today
MBC ( Manual boost controler) I made it today as well
Fuel pressure gauge under hood ( made and put together and installed myself today)

NEED TO GET in order of importance.... ( i think lol)
12:1 FMU ( Fuel managment unit aka. rising rate regulator)
A normal regulator for return line
24 lb or 30 lb injectors
return fuel line ( i am going to use a stock neon fuel line where as it is bent already to the way i need it)
Intercooler
Exhaust temp gauge
air/fuel ratio gauge
A turbo timer

And much more

Does any one have any input, or helpful websites to help me out, i need to doalot of researching and getting the paper work ready for having it installe,d because i know i wont be doing it, atleast not alone.
If anyone has any questions about what i have learned because you are starting a turbo porject, i am willing to share what i know, unlike others i have delt with in the past and in other forums. also, anyone willing to help me further would be great. thanks

Old 10-03-2004, 01:43 PM
Cr@zy Squ33
Default RE: Turbo Neon project

You aren't going to need the A/F Gauge. It's a light show. What you are going to need is an EGT (Exhaust Gas Temperature) Gauge. You also aren't going to need a regular FPR for the return line especially if you are going to use either a Cartech RRFPR or an Chill Factory RRFPR.

You are definitely going to need those 24lb. injectors. However, you aren't going to need the 30/36lb injectors unless you are going to run some crazy mad boost.

You may also want a second fuel pressure gauge for near the windshield. This way you can see it as you drive as well.

Another thing you are definitely going to want to consider is your exhaust. You are going to want a new minimum of a 3" system.

You've also forgotten about your Wastegate and Downpipe, Blow Off Valve, Piping for the IC.

I'd also reconsider using your home-made AOEB (not sure what this stands for, clear it up please? I've probably never referenced it shortened.), and also reconsider using the home-made fuel pressure gauge (although I'm sure this isn't that much of a big deal.)

Another thing you are definitely going to want is a new cam, (what engine do you have SOHC or DOHC?) and new valve springs.

You are also going to want oil supply and return lines, and an oil pressure gauge. You could also upgrade your fuel rail to a higher flowing one as well.

I'm sure there is more but I just woke up. When I think of new stuff I'll let ya know.

Old 10-03-2004, 04:51 PM
xtreme1_419

yeah, i forgot to list the oil stuff and another fuel guage. i still think i will get the air/fuel ratio just so i know it isnt running lean, and i had the egt on the list as well. My car is a sohc with an automatic. (actually my girlfriends car) The aoeb is a little module is a little thing that you wire into your MAP sensor wiring so it wont cut your fuel when it sense boost, it goes up to something like 4.6 volts before it cuts and boost makes it go up higher than that and it dumps the rest to the ground keeping it from shutting the fuel off. i can post a link to the site for all to see in a bit. I also forgot to mention that this is sorta a budget turbo, i am doing this so my girlfriend can go beat a few a**holes around here that think they are faster than everyone just because one has 17 inch rims on a stock civic, and the other has a stereo, strut tower bar and cai on a turbo talon. ANd they know the neon is slow, so when i go to race them ( which they wanted to race me today) i will be able to blow offf there doors, but at the same time, not spend a dime more thani have to. So thats why this is a full custom project. It is also a learning aspect to it as well, because i am going to turbo a neon for myself.

As fr this project goes, i do know i am mising stuff, i have a ONG list, but so far i just listed what is important.

I do have a question or a statement actually, i will be needing the regulator on the fuel line to build pressure in the fuel rail, where as i wont be using the cartech or chill factory FMU. I will be using a Vortec i beleive it is, or one just like them.

Another thing, where can i find a cam and a higher flowing fuel rail???? i cant find any anywhere, and somethings i am saving money on to buy better other things, and those 2 might be part f it. When i think of more i will add some as well, because i also j8st woke up lol. thanks

Old 10-03-2004, 05:04 PM
Cr@zy Squ33

Yeah, I'm telling you that the A/F guage is a waste. it's only going ot do a happy light show dance on your dashboard. You can't tune the car with it because it's virtually useless. Which is why the EGT is a better choice.

And I wouldn't recommend the AOEB either. Everyone uses the Missing Link on their map sensors. It's proven and does work and I'm sure it's a better thing then tehn AOEB.

You can get the fuel rail from Lornezo's Fuel Systems here: http://www.lfsracing.com/main.html the Missing Link you'll want to get here http://www.racingworks.com/missinglink.htm. And you'll want to get a Crane #12 cam or if you can find one a 2001 Magnum Cam. Both cams are almost identical in lobes and duration and both are ideal for turbos.

Another thing you also may want to consider is doing a little work to that ATX of yours. The ATX is perfect for turbo applications as well since the gears are longer and it stays in gear longer. There are a few things you can do to improve it's shifting.

I'd also suggest picking up Maximum Boost by Corky Bell. It'll teach you quite a bit about turbos.

Old 10-03-2004, 05:05 PM
Cr@zy Squ33

Yeah, I'm telling you that the A/F guage is a waste. it's only going ot do a happy light show dance on your dashboard. You can't tune the car with it because it's virtually useless. Which is why the EGT is a better choice.

And I wouldn't recommend the AOEB either. Everyone uses the Missing Link on their map sensors. It's proven and does work and I'm sure it's a better thing then tehn AOEB.

You can get the fuel rail from Lornezo's Fuel Systems here: http://www.lfsracing.com/main.html the Missing Link you'll want to get here http://www.racingworks.com/missinglink.htm. And you'll want to get a Crane #12 cam or if you can find one a 2001 Magnum Cam. Both cams are almost identical in lobes and duration and both are ideal for turbos.

Another thing you also may want to consider is doing a little work to that ATX of yours. The ATX is perfect for turbo applications as well since the gears are longer and it stays in gear longer. There are a few things you can do to improve it's shifting.

I'd also suggest picking up Maximum Boost by Corky Bell. It'll teach you quite a bit about turbos.

I should also mention or rather ask, is the turbo you are getting new or is it used? I ask because you are going to want to check for shaft play if it;s used. If it is used and does have shaft play you are either going to have to have it rebuilt or you are going to have to get a new one.

Old 10-04-2004, 12:52 AM
xtreme1_419

the turbo is used, but has very little shaft play, i may send it out to be rebuilt over the winter before install time. i was thinking of having it upgraded to a T28 (its a t25) Also, the magnum cam, is it just 2001 and also, its from the neon correct????

Old 10-04-2004, 01:06 AM
Cr@zy Squ33

Yes, the Magnum cam is from a Neon. But if you do plan on getting the Magnum cam the only year you are going to want is 2001. It resembles the Crane 12 and is only off by a few degrees. After 2001 Chrysler changed it's duration and lobes and after 2001 they aren't recommended for turbo.

Old 10-04-2004, 03:22 AM
xtreme1_419

what other websites sell neon performance parts???? like cams, under drive pulleys, fuel rails ( other than th ones you alreadt gave me) ect.

Old 10-04-2004, 05:11 AM
xtreme1_419

also, does a srt-4 fuel rail fit a 95?????

Old 10-04-2004, 12:05 PM
Altima_wb
Captain

Here is a couple sites for you:
www.modernperformance.com
www.howellautomotive.com

They have most parts you will. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Turbo Neon project