Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Battery draining?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 03:41 AM
Robbiesan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery draining?

I have had a 97 Neon DOHC for a little over a year. After the first couple of months the battery died. No warning light or anything, just dead one day. Replaced and battery and all was well until today. Went to start the car at lunchtime and it was dead. Got a boost and was able to drive home. The battery light was on for half the ride. Got home and had AMA guy come by and check the battery and alt. He says the alt is fine but the battery has zippo cranking amps left and something seems to be draining power.

Are there any known issues of something draining the battery in gen1 Neons? I have a car stereo and a couple of amps but the amps always shutoff when the car is off (power lights are off). Any help is much appreciated.

Old 10-09-2004, 01:34 PM
Cr@zy Squ33
Default RE: Battery draining?

Sounds to me like something regarding your stereo is staying on. I'd double chekc that.

Also. What type of battery are you using? If it's a cheapo battery that could also be your problem.

But other than that, no, there is nothing in the 1st gen Neons that drains the battery. It really sounds like one or more of your stereo components are staying on.

Old 10-09-2004, 03:37 PM
Robbiesan

thanks for the reply.

the amps seem to be off, no power light. I will check disconnect the head unit to see if that is the cause.

the battery is only 500amp. I think I'll pick up a more powerful battery battery this time.

either way I need to find the cause of the drain. thanks again.

Old 10-09-2004, 03:46 PM
Cr@zy Squ33

Just because the LED on the amp goes out really doesn't mean there is no power going to it. Most amp LED's are more or less for looks. You need to make sure you've got the blue lead wire hooked up to a power source that only has 12v when the car is on. Otherwise the LED might turn off but it might still get power.

Old 10-09-2004, 04:34 PM
Robbiesan

the blue lead is running from the head unit to the amps. I'll look into that.

Old 10-11-2004, 12:05 AM
rs97ap

Have you checked the alternator? Maybe the battery is not getting charged properly...

Old 10-11-2004, 05:56 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With a small battery like that and an amped stereo, your probably drawing more power than your alternator can recharge. A larger battery will help reduce this problem, but you might want to let the car run at an idle with everything shut off for a minute or two before shutting it off after you have been using your stereo.

Old 10-11-2004, 01:38 PM
Bretts2004

I had the same problem with my 97 SOHC neon. I thought it was just the battery too and i had someone come check the alt and the battery and he said they were both fine too. But about a week later coming home from milwaukee my car just quit on me while on the interstate. I somehow managed to make it home just to find out that my alternator was working some of the time like when the guy came to check it and then it all of a sudden died. So i would go get a new/rebuilt alternator if i was you. I didn't like sitting on the side of the interstate waiting for help, or my battery to get some juice.

Old 10-11-2004, 04:24 PM
casper
Legend

I would think its the alternator or the regulator, which I think is internal in the neon.

Old 10-12-2004, 07:19 PM
Robbiesan

thanks guys.

when I put in the new battery I checked it with a multimeter and it's sitting at 12.26V with no fluctuation. When I start the car it jumps to 13.96V showing the alternator is charging it. I think it may be a good idea to change the Alternator if there is an intermittent problem.

Quick Reply: Battery draining?