Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005 | 08:27 PM
DU571N
Default Clutch

Hey Everyone... I just took The Neon in to have a rattle checked out... truned out the release bearing is going... which in turn bore a nice groove into the pressure plate... Now I am forced into making a decision... the origanal clutch is Non modular. ( which sucks ) and the kit dodge is pushing is modular... I do plan on continuing to add proformance mods to my car although I don't want to go huge.. should I stick with the dodge replacement clutch... or should I upgrade to a Center force clutch kit... would it be worth it??? HP means nothing to a clutch... as they deal with torque right... ? so If I replaced the clutch( with a preformance one ) with out adding intence power to the engine would my ride be rough and jerky? And would I need to replace the Axles as well due to added torque to them?

this is my daily driver... but every now and then other drivers need to be tought a lesson. I have some of the basic mods.. ( Intake, fuel pump, fuel rail. ) and I think I am going to upgrade cams, manifold,exhaust and the computer as well... I have no plans for Turbo or NOS as of yet... so should I stick with a new stock clutch??? or go C-Force???

"D"

* Edited due to lack of spelling skills...

Old 01-30-2005 | 04:18 AM
01NeonR/T
Rookie
Default RE: Clutch

I would have to say that if you're going for a mild mod, go with a good quality aftermarket one. Most OEM clutches are made for a smooth ride, but don't respond well to modifications or hard driving. If you beat your car day to day pretty hard, I would recommend finding a "tougher" clutch to handle to extra power, however mild it is, but not something full out race. I think Centerforce makes a Stage 2 Clutch, which is a good belnd of performance and daily drivability. A friend of mine with a 5.0L Mustang has one, he likes it feel, but it also lets him slip the clutch out enough when he needs to (like when doing a burnout). As for axles, I think unless you are pushing major amounts of hp, you shouldn't need to change them.

Old 01-31-2005 | 02:34 AM
casper
Legend

I would recomend the stage 2 as well. Are you sure you have the non-modular, they are better in my opinion, but were only on the cars made in mexico.

Old 01-31-2005 | 05:02 PM
DU571N

Yeah it's a Mexico car... lol. why do you think there better???. I ordered the Centerforce Stage 2 clutch kit... after its all installed... what should I be expecting???

Old 01-31-2005 | 05:09 PM
casper
Legend

It is a more open design, if you get a little piece of clutch material lodged in the modular it will not let the clutch fully engage, thus blowing your clutch. In the non-modular it is a more open design letting the piece to move out of the assembly. I had a lot of problems with the stock replacement modular, I went through 3 in 2 months. I also got the centerforce stage 2 non-modular, I had to change my flywheel to use the non-modular, but its a better set-up, plus its rebuildable, unlike the modular. The pedal is gonna be a little harder to depress and its gonna grab a little harder, but nothing major.

Old 01-31-2005 | 05:15 PM
DU571N

Good enough... my throw bearing went... causing damage to the pressure plate... since the clutch was Modular< I needed to replace the whole thing... the replacement clutch dodge had was a non-modular, so I figured what the hell might as well get a stage 2 kit... have to change the flywheel anyhow... plus on top of that I need to get a throw bearing as well... Boooooo... I can't wait to get her back...

Quick Reply: Clutch