Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

My sloooooooooooooooooow 04......

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 12:19 AM
morningpride
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My sloooooooooooooooooow 04......

GRRRRRR!!!!

This vehicle is really starting to bother me.

Every once in a while, I shift into 2nd gear and hit the gas.......Nothing....Sputter.....pop......

Then, all of the sudden, AWAY WE GO!

"Nothing is wrong" says the fearless Dodge dealer......."there are no codes"........."you have the most recent PCM flash"..............

WTF I SAY??????

I'm thinkin fuel delivery problem, but how do I prove it?

GRRRRRR.......

Old 04-06-2005, 01:29 AM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion
Default RE: My sloooooooooooooooooow 04......

Mine did that to me just recently. I was in first I stepped on it to go and it went "brrrrrrrrrrawwwwwwwwwww" and it almost died. Then all of sudden, "SNAP" it went. I swear I about rearended the person in front of me it lunged ahead so hard. And it was fine after that. I don't know if it has to do with the weather or something, because it rarely ever happens to me. If you ever figure out what the problem is let me know. I'd like to know what it is.

Old 04-06-2005, 01:33 AM
techmanbd
Record Breaker

Mine does the same thing. also I guy I use to work with had the same thing with his 03

Old 04-06-2005, 01:55 AM
SXTNNY
Captain

Are all you guys MTX or ATX? I know NeonSXT04 is stick. I have an 03 auto and haven't had that prob yet.

Old 04-06-2005, 04:53 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If it's a manual, it could be the way you are shifting. You can't shift from first in to second and then just relax in low RPM in 2nd gear and then go or it will bog out sometimes.

Old 04-06-2005, 06:16 PM
techmanbd
Record Breaker

I have ATX, and when it bogs I am shifting between 2000 and 2500 RPM's

Old 04-06-2005, 08:54 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: MidnightBlueNeon

If it's a manual, it could be the way you are shifting. In fact, that's probably what it is if you have a manual. You can't just relax in low RPM in 2nd gear and then go or it will bog out sometimes.
No, Its not how I'm shifting. If you read what I wrote, I said first gear. Its something with either the gas I have, the air delivery, fuel, or spark. It has only done it a couple times since I've owned it. So that leads me to believe its probably just the gas I have right now.

Old 04-06-2005, 09:19 PM
morningpride
Veteran

yup....

exactly the same thing, and no one can tell me what the he** is going on......

It's going to drive me crazy....

I work for a dealership chain with 2 dodge dealers, maby i'll take it to the one across town next week.

04 mtx 115,510m

Old 04-08-2005, 04:49 AM
ewetho
All Star

Continue to monitor the situation. As the wether change in my neck of the woods has been fairly abrubt (Snow just before Easter to 77 already 2 days ago) the gas you may be recieving may been a winter formulation or vice versa and depending on what you current weather is may bee incorrect. This is known to cause driveabilty problems. Generally just poor performance but who knows. If as we get farther into spring it still persists or gets worse then I would look into getting it serviced again.

Codes are not everything, yes they are most of the time a very reliable and valuble too but they can be misleading or not evident at all. As some things require repeated (consistantly) problems before setting a code. This is why a dealy or real engine performance shop uses a full scanner that lets a technician view live data and some will even have what is known as a flight recorer. So they can catch glitches. You press a button and the recorder will record the pervioius 30 sec + the next 30 (or what ever is setup) and view data about what happened. They can also test sensors for acuracy. Imagine if you have fuel pressure problems and you sensor is broken always feeding back near normal pressure. Hmmm no codes but no fuel either. Yeah misfire can be a problem eventually but if you just need a fuel trim adjumnet and you don't get it. Just food for thought.

So in the interim just look for simple things suc as try changeing gas stations if you always use the same station. Fuel injector cleaner. And always check your air filter. If dirty or possibly salt packed replace.

For those of the modified persuasion (ie. CAI) check you throttle body for dirty MAP sensors.

For those with o-scopes check you thottle position sensors for smooth voltage(or resistance) curves. Any spike or holes well you may find a problem. Imagine you have a open were you hit the throttle in one particular spot and all the sudden even though ou are giving ~3/4 throttle your pcm sees Closed Throttle. Oops. Not as the you flex you foot all the sudden you move to say 74% or 76% and not 75% and you are off to the races again.

Just stuf to thing about and try. If you are getting this at light and heavey throttle that situation may not be too plausible but you see the intracacy of the problem. Just keep this in mind and start logging what you were doing. Turning left, 1/4 throttle, rain, full tank, engine cold, only shifting into 2nd gear, ets., etc., etc. This will help identify possible problem areas. If you data is very consistant they know where tool look. If it did something funky once or twice and you can't be very specific then it ma be impossoble to replicate. Imagine if the problem only happens cold but they have a couple of very similar issues in known issue archive about the car being warm they may be barking up the wrong tree. Make sure to give as much help as possible.

Old 04-08-2005, 09:56 PM
casper
Legend

Try reseting the PCM.