Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

F***in oil, help please.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 12:01 PM
chud298
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F***in oil, help please.

I know that I posted before about my oil leaking and that I had fixed the problem...well guess I was wrong. Alright here's the problem: I have lost a quart of oil in a little less than 1000 miles, and it keeps going down. THERE IS ABSOULTLY NO VISABLE LEAK. As much as you guys say there must be, I'm pretty damn sure that my dad knows what he's doing, just very stumped on this one. Me and my dad cannot see any visible leak, changed the cam senor seal, NOT the head gasket, I have the oil restrictor, and THERE"S ABSOULTLY NO OIL BEING BURNED so it's not the rings as most wise a**es are telling me. Oce again I don't see it, my dad doesn't see it and there's the normal sut in the pipe NO OIL. I have the dye but I'm not putting it in until my next oil change and I'm hoping I can found out what it is before then. The only question my dad had because he wasn't sure was that he was wondering if you'd see smoke if it was getting past the valve seals. He's not sure if it burns before it comes out the pipe, which would actually solve our problem. HELP PLEASE. It's been like this since last summer. We thought we fixed it with the restrictor but that didn't work.

Old 05-19-2005, 01:28 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: F***in oil, help please.

oil that is lost past the guides will be under hard acceleration, so maybe get your dad to ride behind you on the highway, then upshift and jump on it hard. if it spits out some smoke then, that is where it is going.

Old 05-20-2005, 01:09 PM
chud298
Record Breaker

Wow...actually that makes a lot of sense and that might be it we'll probably try that tomorrow thanks

Old 05-20-2005, 07:46 PM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

look at the back of the valve cover gasket nearest to the alternator it is the most common place for it to leak cuz it goes directly on the alternator and other parts of the engine chamber and least likely to see oil on the ground after settling. Just under running conditions would you notice.

Old 05-20-2005, 11:34 PM
morningpride
Veteran

Strat is right, Hard acceleration!!!!

If you beat on that little car a lot, oil will sneak past the valve seals. It is very common in the older 2.0 cyl heads.

Especially if it has over 100k!!!

Old 05-21-2005, 03:00 AM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

actually the seals and gaskets after 100000 its almost a gaurantee.

Old 05-21-2005, 06:50 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He should also be able to smell the burning oil if he's behind you when you do that and he has the window down.

If it's a very small leak and on the back above the exhaust it could be burned off without being seen and it could be from the valve cover or the head gasket.

Old 05-21-2005, 12:45 PM
chud298
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: highrevr/tflea

look at the back of the valve cover gasket nearest to the alternator it is the most common place for it to leak cuz it goes directly on the alternator and other parts of the engine chamber and least likely to see oil on the ground after settling. Just under running conditions would you notice.
Sorry I should've specified, when I meant that there was no visible leak I meant on the engine, the first place I looked was on the ground

Old 05-21-2005, 08:07 PM
morningpride
Veteran

I would think that if you are loosing that much oil, you would see it.......

or smell it......

Are you sure there's no oil on the back of the engine???

Old 05-22-2005, 09:48 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The oil pressure sending unit is another possible leak point that is on the backside of the engine against the firewall and it's hard to see.

Quick Reply: F***in oil, help please.