Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

2005 Neon Running Rough at Idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 10:26 PM
irish_in_ny
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Neon Running Rough at Idle

Hello everyone this is my first post. I have bought a 05 Neon and did a fair bit of work to it the past week to get it close to being a daily driver. It has 118k on it, new oil change, tune up, and new motor mounts. My question is, after I start up the car, let it warm up, the car gets pretty shaky and rough sounding inside (almost diesel engine sounding). Is there any way for me to tune something or to change something to make the car run smoother at idle? As soon as I give it some gas, the shakyness and diesel like noise goes away. Any advice? Cheers in advance.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:29 PM
hemi4spd
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 09-27-2011, 04:17 PM
prouty3232
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried everything that was mentioned in the above link, along with replacing the balancer/damper, got a tune up with new plugs and wires. all mounts all good, and i still have vibrations, almost like not getting enough air or gas, when I idle at a light or stop sign. doesn't matter what gear it is in, either. But as soon as I give any little bit of gas to it, it rides smooth as a brand new car! 5 mechanics have told me they have NO idea what is wrong with it. they see nothing wrong, and do not think it's in the motor.

My dashboard shakes like crazy, and only happens when I am not accelerating. What else could it be??? Please help. It only has 56k miles on it and is an 05.

I'm told by dodge themselves this is a "ghosting" issue and they HAVE NO FIX in the system for this.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:24 PM
hemi4spd
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

has anone cleaned out the IAC(Idle Air Control) ports?
perhaps the IAC itself is sluggish?

Quick Reply: 2005 Neon Running Rough at Idle