Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Transmission leak near Torque converter

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 02:11 PM
03 SXT-4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission leak near Torque converter

I have a 2003 Neon SXT with 98k on it and i ahve a leak around the torque converter area. no fluid around the pan, theres a dribble coming from the torque converter and dripping off that plate thats crosses from the engine oil pan to under the torque converter. seems like a seal leak of some sort??? im not sure.. im a SBC guy so these cars are new to me. any ideas?

Old 05-13-2011, 11:24 PM
hemi4spd
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

input seal or pump seal is leaking

Old 05-16-2011, 12:10 PM
03 SXT-4

@hemi4spd

yep exactly right.. i had a mechnic look at it and he said the front seal was bad.. im assuming the front pump seal and so i called a transmission shop to get a quote over the phone and they couldnt but they said that seal will be damaged due to another thing going bad to cause it. not sure how much it will cost.. im assuming 500-700 parts and labor dang

Old 05-16-2011, 05:01 PM
hemi4spd
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its a large job as the trans needs to come out, but not all that hard. If you have tools and a bit of know how around cars you could do this in a weekend.
I myself would just replace the seal. when the trans is out endplay can be measured and if it falls within spec i wouldnt tear into the tranny.
and spin input shaft by hand if theres no growling and it feels smooth dont go into tranny.
seals are cheap, labour to change isnt( you may want to change the diff seals as well while the unit is out, it would also be a good idea to replace fuid and change filter.

Old 05-18-2011, 02:43 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Transmission shops want to rebuilt any auto that has something wrong with it "because most likely other things got damaged." If you know it's the seal, tell them that is all you want done if they want your business.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:40 AM
03 SXT-4
Talking

thanks guys.. my mechanic found a bushing that sits further past the seal that should've been replaced (he said it seemed like the front seal had been replaced before by someone but they didnt realize that bushing was actually the problem). got it back together and theres still a tiny leak from the converter so that will probly be replaced as well. transmission was still in excellent shape since i quit driving it once i noticed the leak. luckily i have a trustworthy mechanic and everything is only 400$ which isnt bad considering they did more than replace that seal and bushing and made sure everything else was in order.

Quick Reply: Transmission leak near Torque converter