Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

I have an interesting one for you guys. 98 neon

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 03:34 AM
Allenman989
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have an interesting one for you guys. 98 neon

My girlfriend has a 98 neon 2.0L SOHC

Last week it just developed some problems. It has an intermittant no-start issue. When this happens there is no click from the starter. I ran the codes and got one for the neutral safety switch (I forget what the number was). After replacing the Neutral saftey switch, the problem is still there, as well as the code. I tried to clear the code with multiple scan tools and the code will not clear (tried with KOEO and KOER). In fact, after attempting to clear the code, the scan tools have trouble re-establishing communication with the ECU.

On top of the no-start issue, when the car does start the rpms will surge randomly, which it never did before the no-start issue. Right now the starter is hooked up to a push button to bypass the ignition switch and relay and it will start like this, but the surging continues.

Right now I'm leaning towards a bad ECU or some bad wiring to the neutral safety switch (though I don't know how bad wiring to the NSS would cause surging).

Has anyone experienced anything similar?
What do you guys think it might be?

Edit: Whoops, I just realized I put this in the wrong forum. Sorry, didn't see the sub forum up there for 95-99.

Last edited by Allenman989; 05-25-2011 at 03:40 AM.

Quick Reply: I have an interesting one for you guys. 98 neon