Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Downshifted into 1st going 100km/hr :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 09:35 PM
TinyTiffin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Downshifted into 1st going 100km/hr :(

I accidently down shifted into 1st going about 100km/hr (dont ask) today in my 2001 neon and since then the following problems are happening. When first starting driving from stop the car stutters a little, doesnt stall or anything just shakes/stutters kind of thing, also happens in reverse. While driving even if the clutch is in i have to hit the right rpm for the car to go into the next gear, and if i over rev in a gear it becomes very difficult to take it out of gear (yes with the clutch in)
And compared to before, now while stopped if i release the clutch even the tiniest bit without using the gas, first gear responds immediately, like a milimeter off the clutch even. compared to before i could take the clutch nearly half way out.

When im in gear and driving all is fine, its just everything that has to do with the clutch that isnt running properly. Oh and when the car is off it will go into all the gears, but as i said before while driving i have to hit the right rpm, as if i wasnt using the clutch to shift, until i hit that rpm i cant get into any gears.

So judging by what ive said the problems are and the cause of it what do you guys think the problem is, and about how much is it going to cost to fix it....... Really cant afford this crap right now.
Thanks in advance.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:47 AM
chronoboy
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like the clutch, i had my clutch go out on me and had the same problem, I could start it off in first but it was tricky and then i just had to shift without the clutch and if you dont shift in the right rpms it can be a pain without a clutch, drove it around for awhile like that, I to this day find myself changing gears without the clutch cause I got used to it, had a work van a curbmaster that had a **** clutch so i got good and driving around with a bad clutch.

Quick Reply: Downshifted into 1st going 100km/hr :(