Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

2005 having high rpm issues.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 10:48 PM
DodgeGreaser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 having high rpm issues.

today i replaced the starter in my 2005 neon and swapped in a new battery since i was in the mix. i removed the intake manifold to replace the starter. when i was done i started the car and was greeted by the hum of some ridiculous RPMs. i tried disconnecting the battery to reboot the system but to no avail. Ive checked and rechecked any hoses or missed parts and everything is as it should be.

I through caution to the wind and took it for a test drive to help me sort out the problem. the car practically pushed itself as if my throttle was stuck open. not once did i need to use the accelerator. it cruised in first with no assistance by me.

i looked over the throttle body twice and didn't come up with anything. the only thing i haven't done is re-set the intake manifold but I'm not hearing any signs of a leak. anyone have any ideas on what it could be?

Old 05-25-2011, 03:37 AM
Allenman989
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spray some starter fluid around the manifold with the engine running. If there is a vacuum leak, and I bet there is, the rpms will rev when it ingests the starter fluid.

Quick Reply: 2005 having high rpm issues.