Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

My new LED Relay shorted something... turn signals and brake lights don't work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 06:04 AM
mikeeey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new LED Relay shorted something... turn signals and brake lights don't work.

I purchased this LED relay from amazon, being that it seems be have the best reviews of most that I've seen:

http://www.amazon.com/Grote-44090-Fi...2969932&sr=8-2

Today I installed it and was very happy to find that it flashes at a normal rate with my LED lights, I was very very happy. I then tested my hazard lights and the relay made an awful screeching noise, and after just 1 second it stopped working altogether. My right or left turn signal no longer worked anymore. I put my old relay in and still nothing. I finally found a blown fuse for my hazard/flasher under the hood and replaced it, but still my lights aren't working. Is there another fuse I'm not seeing somewhere?
Btw, my parking lights work fine (the turn signals and brake lights use the same lights, just should light up brighter), they just don't flash, this includes my brake lights. The only indication that I'm slowing down is my 3rd brake light. I'm really hoping I can get this fixed before I start getting tickets.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:39 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did the bulbs blow?

Old 08-12-2011, 12:41 AM
mikeeey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by darthroush
Did the bulbs blow?
Nope, they bulbs still light up as parking lights.

I found a blown fuse for hazard/flashers, replaced it, nothing happened.
Then after about 24 hours had passed, my brake lights are now working out of nowhere oddly enough. The filament that lights up when you tap on the brakes is the same used for turn signals. However turn signals don't work. As for the front lights, they are actually LEDs, so they just get brighter for turn signals.

I have a new multifunction switch on the way, so I really hope that will fix the problem.

EDIT: Finally figured out the problem. I read online someone did the exact same thing as me, although he mentioned there were 2 fuses blown, I was only able to find one. Turns out that other fuse is for the power windows, which is also connected through the turn signals oddly enough. Swapping out this fuse fixed the problem, now to find/mod a relay that will work with all 4 LEDs, and allow using the hazards without blowing everything up lol.

Last edited by mikeeey; 08-13-2011 at 02:50 PM.

Quick Reply: My new LED Relay shorted something... turn signals and brake lights don't work.