Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Neon runs rough on idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 12:18 PM
gilcantu
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neon runs rough on idle

I have a 2000 neon. Changed lower and upper Passenger motor mounts because of engine Shake. Now engine runs smooth on driving but on idle or a a stop engine runs or shakes rough. Vacuum Leak???

Old 08-26-2011, 04:46 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you align the torque struts when you replaced them? Is your motor mount bad (it will fail quicker when your torque struts have already failed)?

Old 08-27-2011, 08:40 PM
burtonbeezy21
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default same problem...

What does aligning the torque struts entail? I replaced the same 2 mounts due to vibrating & loud exhaust while accelerating, in Drive. Now I have no vibrating, exhaust noise still, & a NEW vibrating at idle (mostly on the driver side). Once I accelerate, the vibrating stops.
After replacing ONLY the bottom mount on the passenger side, I didn't really have as much exhaust noise on the test drive. But once we replaced the top mount on the passenger side, the exhaust noise was back, w/ this new vibrating. My friend was thinking maybe tranny mount, since it's on the driver's side...

Old 08-28-2011, 03:21 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by burtonbeezy21
What does aligning the torque struts entail?
There's a link in my signature.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:52 PM
gilcantu
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks
By seeing the drawings on the engine I understand that the struts are the assemblies that house the motor mounts. I thought the struts were completely a different asembly (like struts on a VW) . So the struts are the arms that house the mounts. I stand corrected.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:18 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

The torque struts keep the engine from torquing back and forth. They also keep the engine and transmission mounts from twisting and tearing.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:26 PM
burtonbeezy21
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Symptoms???

What are the symtoms of a bad transmission or engine mount?

My mechanic & I went over everything today & we noticed the car vibrates/shakes much more on the driver side idling. The engine doesn't appear to rock back & forth when pushing the car w/o th parking break on. We are going to take things apart this weekend when the transmission mount comes in the mail; I have an engine mount also. I'll just return what we don't use.

With the directions I have, the engine would looks like HELL to change. I read on here that if you lift up the engine a little bit on the passenger side, that you can see if the engine mount rubber is bad. Is that correct?

How do you know if the transmission mount is bad then? I think the exhaust manifold is all tweeked because it's loud from the engine, but that's definitely horrible vibrations, like a mount is bad & it's not catching all the vibrations of the engine... right????

Thanks!

Old 08-30-2011, 08:29 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

The engine won't rock when you push the car; not on any car. If that were true, engines would be bouncing all over the place when you were driving. Keep your foot on the brakes, and shift from park to reverse or neutral to drive and watch the engine. It'll kick back and forth (depending on reverse or drive) if a torque strut is bad. However, if the torque struts went bad and were replaced, but not the motor mount, the motor mount could still be bad which will cause all sorts of vibrations and noise.

As far as telling if they are bad by looking at them, you can see if the rubber is torn or not.

Quick Reply: Neon runs rough on idle