Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

2005 Dodge SX auto trans won't go in drive and reverse

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 01:21 AM
cbt204
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Dodge SX auto trans won't go in drive and reverse

I was driving my car to a friends house to see if he could diagnose what I thought was an engine ticking noise (hydraulic lifters). While I was driving, my car just comes to a hard stop with the tires squealing as if I braked really hard, but I wasn't pressing the brake. I tried driving forward after but the car wouldn't move. I tried reverse, and all the lower gears and the car wouldn't move. I popped the hood and noticed the ticking noise disappeared. The engine still starts. Any ideas what happened? I hooked up an OBD II scanner and got 2 codes P0700 and P0888. Do I need a new transmission or will a new shift solenoid fix the problem? Please help.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:42 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

P0700 is probably there because P0888 is. P0888 is TCM Power Control Relay Sensor Circuit. The majority of the causes of P0888 seem to be a wiring issue; likely a broken or grounded out/corroded wire for the transmission control relay. Take a peek at I believe it will be something like the EATX relay. There could be corrosion on one of the wires underneath the relay too. You need to start looking the wires over.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:20 AM
cbt204
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for responding. I'll check the wires today. Would P0888 have caused my vehicle to stop while driving and not go into drive or reverse? It won't even go into limp in mode. My automotive instructor told me it could be the torque converter or differential.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:30 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Everything is electrical. If a relay, solenoid, etc., isn't getting power, it could cause all sorts of issues. I had a corroded wire connecting to my battery (the corrosion was inside the factory crimp), and my car would lose power while driving and the car would slam down into first and so on...all from one bad power wire.

Quick Reply: 2005 Dodge SX auto trans won't go in drive and reverse