Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

03 neon transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012 | 12:10 AM
Jlow91
|
Angry 03 neon transmission

About a month ago My 03 dodge neon started shifting weird. It would take a while to grab the next gear and would jerk really hard. After 5 miles of this it slammed hard and the engine light came on and the engine quit shifting. I saved up the 1700 to get the transmission rebuilt. 5 days ago it was rebuilt and running fine after. Today it started shifting weird again, jerked hard, and the engine light came on and quit shifting again.

The previous owner of the car said he had the transmission rebuilt about 2 years ago.

Why am I having a reoccurring issues with the transmission? I really don't want to fork out another grand or so to have it fixed....again.
Any ideas?

Old 03-15-2012 | 09:49 AM
bjr1a
Professional

Its hard to say why you keep having issues, but do you have any idea what went wrong before?....get the code or have someone attach a scan tool and get some information about the current problem......Did the trans start shifting again after re-start?....If it did not, then that is a sign that the problem is electrical......

Brian

Old 03-15-2012 | 12:49 PM
Jlow91
|

I did the key trick and it's giving me the general transmission code. P0700 or something...no if I pushed the car a few feet it would catch the gear again. Could it be a timing belt issue?

Old 03-15-2012 | 12:57 PM
bjr1a
Professional

I would not think so, but if you took a compression check, you can rule it out..

Brian

Old 03-15-2012 | 12:59 PM
Jlow91
|

Ok thank you. It's being towed to the shop sometime today. Hopefully the mechanic is fair.

Old 03-15-2012 | 05:37 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator

Did they replace the solenoid pack when they rebuilt the transmission? Sounds like that could have been the problem anyways. A shop will always want to rebuild the transmission whenever there is a problem. The solenoid pack is ~$100.

Quick Reply: 03 neon transmission