Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Crank-no-start has become starter-spin-no-key

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 08:51 PM
hot_rod_neon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank-no-start has become starter-spin-no-key

Hello DF,

OK, so my 01' Neon SE 2.0 had a crank no start this morning. I tested Accessory Delay Relay output using a DVOM and I'm getting B+ for only a few seconds. PCM strategy says that after commanding the relay on if the PCM does not see CKP or CMP signal then it will command the ACD relay off; So I used a Snap-On Solus to confirm that the CKP and CMP signals were getting to the PCM, they are, it's looking like a PCM.

Enter the issue; before buying a PCM I wanted to check the signals one last time with the scan tool, I gave the engine a crank, the engine hit once then died and the starter imediatly started to spin (no engien crank just starter motor spin). It spins with the key on or off. In fact, not only can I turn the key off but I can pull the starter relay and it still spins. I checked the brown circuit from relay to starter and it has 9 volts on it. I had to pull the negative battery cable to stop the motor.

Looking at the wiring diagram there is no relationship between the PCM and the starter once the starter relay is removed. I'm leaning to a circuit issue at this point however I'm not sure where to look.

Any one else have this issue? Or ideas?

Quick Reply: Crank-no-start has become starter-spin-no-key