Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

1996 neon auto, no power

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 11:36 PM
96neeon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 neon auto, no power

hey, hows it going
i just picked up a 1996 neon, 2.0L SOHC. its a 2 door coupe, and its an auto.. has 19,000km's on it, so im guessing that its been sitting for a while.
in neutral/park, you can rev up the engine fine and it seems to be good... but when you're driving, it seems like it just has no power... or if you're driving around 80km/h or so.. and you put the pedal to the floor, it wont even drop down a gear, so im thinking it has something to do with the kick-down, but im really not too sure.
so far, ive changed the plugs and air filter, which may have helped a little bit, but there is still a lack of power..
any comments/ideas would be great
thanks a lot

Old 09-19-2005, 06:46 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker
Default RE: 1996 neon auto, no power

Have you tried driving in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd individually? I don't recommend it for everyday, but it might help to see if the "kickdown" feature is working properly.

Is the CEL on at all? Have you tried checking for codes yet?

Old 09-19-2005, 11:21 PM
96neeon
Default RE: 1996 neon auto, no power

hey,
thanks for replying
I believe it is only a 3 speed.. since i only have 1st, 2nd, then drive.. and yes, i can shift them down manually and it will infact shift down, although at first it had trouble staying in 1st, i'd have to hold it there, so i found the linkage going to the tranny and free'd it up and it works now, although it still will not kick down on its own.
the cable going from the throttle body to the transmission is free, i disconnected it and could move it freely, although it seems the linkage where it attaches to the tranny is seized(right on top of where the gear shift attaches to on the tranny..
is there any specific way to free this up? ive tried wd-40 and a few other penetrants although it still does not want to move
thanks in advance

edit: no, there are no cel's that I know of... the engine light has no come on at all atleast.

Quick Reply: 1996 neon auto, no power