Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

new here got a question

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 12:48 AM
foxracin23
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new here got a question

Well my girl friend has a 02 dodge neon and iam into trucks i got a s10, bags and all but, anyway she is geting all this stuff done to the car, and she wants coilovers, and iam not to sure on how to install these cant be much harder then bags i suppose. If any body could send me some instructions i would greatly appricate it thanks. Email me at mxracerfox23@aol.com

Old 09-27-2005, 08:40 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: new here got a question

Won't email, that means you'd have my email...

All 4 corners of the car have a MacPherson strut design. Unbolt from the top, unbolt form the knuckle, remove from the car, install the coilover set. If you're talking about cheapo e-bay coilover sleeves, you are in for a treat. That typically includes removing the original springs from the strut (no biggie), cutting off the spring perch and grinding it flush without spraying pressurized oil all over yourself, and then fabricating a new spring perch for the sleeves to rest on. The stock perch height is a much bigger problem with the 1st gen car since the sleeves raise the car up an inch or two and can't be adjusted lower. For a 2nd gen, that means it keeps the ride height the same and not being able to go lower, which is why most people want coilovers to begin with...

You're much better off spending the $950-1500 on a real set of coilovers. It's not that sleeves can't be done well for less, but it's a lot of work.

Is she aware of how much harsher the ride is going to be? The stock springs are in the 120-150 lb/in range, and coilovers tend to run in the 300+ lb/.in range. Just something to think about.

Best of luck!

Quick Reply: new here got a question