Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

suspension installation questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 03:33 AM
dodgeme
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension installation questions

does anybody have any tips that either helped them out or know that works to make installation of eibach springs easier. I know that i need the spring compressor but do you have any tips to make it easier and quicker. i have helped put some springs on a mustang 6cyl, is it the same or different. thanks for the help it is greatly appreciated.

Old 10-03-2005, 07:50 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker
Default RE: suspension installation questions

Is it too late to go with different springs?...

easiest way - get a set of salvage yard struts (including the top mounts) that already have the springs removed, should run $50-100 depending. Desn't realy matter how many miles are on them, the Eibachs will kill them soon enough. Assemble the Eibachs and used struts. Remove the stock strut/spring assembly from the car (3/4 top nuts, 2 strut-to-knuckle clevis nuts/bolts, 1 brake line bolt, possibly rear sway bar attachments), put the Eibach assembly in, get an alignment.

cheapest way - same thing, but "rent" a spring compressor to get the stock springs on. You'll also need a 7/8" (not positive on the size, ~22mm ish) spark plug socket, a 6" long 1/4" socket extension, a 10mm 1/4" drive socket, an adjustable wrench, and a 1/4" drive ratchet. This is to remove that big center bolt (strut rod) on the top of each mount. Put the 10mm socket on the center post, slide the spark plug socket over that onto the big nut, drop the extension down to lock onto the 10mm socket, attach the ratchet to the extension, and use the adjustable wrench to hold the spark plug socket steady. You'll have to do the same thing to assemble, but it won't be nearly as hard...

cheapest way in the long run - ditch the Eibachs. Mine only lasted a year on brand new KYB GR2's before the struts had to be replaced. Minimum reliable lowering combo would be any decent spring on Koni's, preferably Koni's that have had the bodies shortened (so you don't bottom out over every pothole/speed bump and kill the struts). But if you're only planning on keeping the car for a year or two, you could probably get by on stock struts.

Best of luck!

Old 10-04-2005, 08:18 AM
dodgeme

no its not too late, because they are my friends because he got a bunch to save the money. so no its not too late. what kind of springs or lowering system do you reccomend and where can I get them at.

Old 10-05-2005, 04:21 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

You can get the Mopar high rates from several discount dealers (Fenton Dodge, www.dodgeparts.com, www.fsautomall.com) for $50-60 per pair, so a little over $100 for a full set. They lower the car by about an inch and a half tops. They're a little strong for the stock R/T or base model struts, definitely too much for Highline struts. KYB GR-2's are valved pretty close to the R/T settings, but it's an acceptable upgrade if you have the touring (highline) struts. The springs are linear rate, just like the stock ones. They'll still shorten strut life, but they'll handle tons beter than the Eibachs.

H&R Racing springs are a little more expensive. Lower about the same amount, but they are progressive rate which means a nicer ride, but not the performance you'd get from the Mopar springs. They'll do OK on the GR-2's as well, just expect a shorter strut lif as you would with any lowering spring. Should mention that KYB does have a lifetime warranty on their struts as long as they aren't used with springs that lower more than 2" (i.e. Eibach Sports). Just keep the invoice and work with the retailer you bought them through. Modern Performance would be the place I'd trust the most.

Koni's will handle the higher rate springs a lot better than the KYB's. Problem is they run $700 or so for a full set. Not that I don't love mine, but... see the next paragraph...

For the most reliable setup that will lower the car as much as you want, check out the group buys that pop up on neons.org from Phantom Performance on their coilover setup. $950 for a complete set (struts and springs) that include camber plates up front (rears are slotted) and adjustable jounce/rebound (single ****). The springs that come with it are pretty stiff, but you could pick up a complete set of softer springs (Eibach coilovers from Ground Control) for under $100 if you really needed to. It sounds like a lot of money to shell out, but like I said, it'll be the most reliable way to lower the car in the long run. No bouncing, competition quality handling, easier alignments... I'll be going this route once I get the house built and have my own garage again...

Old 10-05-2005, 02:46 PM
psummers

dodgeme - What year is your friends Neon? I'm looking at doing this exact same thing to my 05 SXT but I'm worried about the ride quality. A little stiffer ride will be okay but I sure don't want the 'riding on rails' effect if possible.

-Paul

Old 10-08-2005, 01:00 PM
dodgeme

its also a 02 se

Quick Reply: suspension installation questions