Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

PCM needed for 2002 neon

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 06:15 AM
omniscient
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM needed for 2002 neon

I need one bad...mine is shot apparently. I just bought a used 02 Neon and after 3 weeks it went nuts on me and started to surge.
I got a mechanic here and he says it's most likely computer related.

So anyone got a hint for me to get one at a reasonable price?

thanks

Old 10-05-2005, 10:50 AM
highrevr/tflea
Champion
Default RE: PCM needed for 2002 neon

ummm whattaya mean by surge???? I wouldnt replace it until I was absolutely sure......

Old 10-05-2005, 03:43 PM
casper
Legend

I would suggest an aftermarket PCM if you have to replace it. An aftermarket is going to give you more power and will probally be cheaper, unless you goto a junk yard. There are 2 out there the AFX and Mopar.

Old 10-05-2005, 05:19 PM
omniscient

Well it seems to rev up over and over...the TSP (I think) is also maybe faulty. I had a mechanic look at it...he says the computer code is 1299 BUT also the computer was failing and giving FAIL. About a week ago the engine light came on and I thought it was the oil so I changed it at Jiffy lube and the guy reset the light. When I went to leave the light came right back up. I should have asked the guy for the code but this is my first car (don't laugh ..I am 35 and from NYC where not having a car is very normal). He reset it again and it was fine for about a week. The mechanic thinks the computer could be sending the wrong signal. The previous car owner seemed to have been racing my little bugger...it was 18" rims on the back, racing seats, cold air intake, and a different front grill. The car may have been in an accident at one point cuz the front is replaced and there is a slight dent underneath on some metal. The mechanic thinks they had nitrous in the car. I am not sure what other mods are in the car.

So does anyone have a link to a good deal on either a mopar or AFX. I looked at the AFX and it was crazy expensive. Like $480 I think was about the cheapest I saw.

Thanks for the assistance. When I get a chance I will take some pics. I am so far really loving the car.

Old 10-06-2005, 12:30 AM
lblackneon
Champion

There aren't any Mopar PCMs for the 2000-up (2nd Gen) Neons.
AFX has a 150 dollar core charge too; yeah they are expensive. You'll end up at the cheapest $375 + $150.
I wonder if the guy put a chip in the car. Sometimes the chips can mess the engines up.
Good luck.

Old 10-06-2005, 12:33 AM
omniscient

Well that's what the mechanic thinks...that the previous owner moded the computer and it's messing up now. The car has 60k miles on it. I just hope I don't have to spend too much more on this. I have a lead for a cheap deal on a computer but I have to take a chance that it might not work. You know how it is buying used items on the web. But it's cheap enough that I am gonna go for it. Paying the mechanic to install it will cost a bit though.

Old 10-06-2005, 07:16 PM
casper
Legend

Install it yourself. Its not that hard to do at all.

Old 10-07-2005, 04:03 AM
omniscient

Do I just hook the new one up and start the car?

Quick Reply: PCM needed for 2002 neon