Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

DOHC Motor rebuild start-up tips

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 01:24 AM
welderwalt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DOHC Motor rebuild start-up tips

I just finished a rebuild on a 98 2.0 DOHC Neon motor , it spun a rod bearing , so I had it down to the bare block , new crank and mains , rods and rod bearings , re-hone cylinders , new rings , head checked , new lash adjusters , oil pump , the works . Anyway I was wondering if there are any tricks to do before initial start up ??? On 2.2 motors you can prime the oil pump by spinning the intermediate shaft before installing the timing belt , well with the crank driven oil pump on these , I guess that's not possible . I pre-lubed everything as I assembled the motor , and I did prime the oil pump before and after I installed it , but it has been several weeks since then , I am just worried about dry start-up !! I thought I would fill the crankcase , pre-fill the filter before installing , then maybe turn the engine over with the starter motor with the sparkplugs out to try and prime it before it fires , is this crazy ??? Also the FSM says something about a re-learn procedure for the crank and camshaft sensors using a scan tool ??? If this is a must I can borrow my friends tool , but I talked to a local Neon guy , and he never heard of it before. Any suggestions on piston ring break-in ?? I have heard different things over the years and used some on the 2.2 motors I have worked on in the past . Any advise will be appreciated , I know its alot for a "newbie" Thanks for your patience .

Quick Reply: DOHC Motor rebuild start-up tips