Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Flooded Neon Care

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 04:36 PM
papaofmany
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flooded Neon Care

Hi all,
My '97 Neon went to explore 3ft of water in a flood a few weeks ago. Everything was under water (over the dashboard).

I managed to dry it enough to restart the engine (lots of water was in the cylinders). I changed the air filter, changed the oil (there was more than 3 quarts of water mixed with the 4 quarts of oil), I am about to change the tranny oil. I used some dry gas and I have a dehumidifier running 24/7 in the back seat.
My question is .... what else should I take care off? Winters in the NorthEast can be quite cold and I do not want to have some water freezing some line somewhere while I am parked at work and not be able to go home.
I have PB blasted a lot of linkages underneath. Anything else I should do?

Thanks

Old 10-28-2005, 04:55 PM
casper
Legend
Default RE: Flooded Neon Care

Change all the fluids, brake, trans, engine, radiator. I would be a little worried if you say you have water in the cylinders, that can bend valves, water does not compress. Just run that dehuminifier and you should be fine. Be very careful and look for mold.

Old 11-09-2005, 03:03 PM
ewetho
All Star
Default RE: Flooded Neon Care

Most insurance companies now consider the car totaled as you will undoubtably have future odd trouble with pcms and such.Most batteries are also vented at least a bit so may want to replace the battery as well as all of the fluids expressed above. If it fluid is is probably bad. The more you can take apart inside and clean the better you are off.

Quick Reply: Flooded Neon Care