Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Neon transmission woe... Help !!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 10:29 PM
2k3Neon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neon transmission woe... Help !!

Hey all, new guy here and looking for help from all the neon guru's on this site.

I have a 2003 neon SE (automatic transmission). No mods or aftermarket stuff; just ur basic 4 door neon. Its started, in the last 2 weeks, really seeming to slip when you step on the gas, and it shifts into 2nd, it almost completely dies; rpm's go back to almost an idle, then it will JERK forward really hard and go into 2nd gear, and then its fine. dodge mechanic over the phone said its definately the trans,but will have to look at it to see what the issue is for sure. Ive heard neons do have common problems w/ the trans from time to time, is that correct? We did just put about 350.00 into it, most of the wiring was exposed or dry rotted, and some of the hoses were very thin, belts were lose/worn. something that shouldnt really be happening on a 2003 vehicle, correct?

Question is, is this something that u think is major; or that will cause more problems down the road? Im still paying on it, and the warranty ran out due to it being used when we bought it. I really dont wanna have to worry about the trans. especially w/ 2 years left to pay on it.

Any ideas, or has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks for the help !!

matt

Old 11-03-2005, 09:52 PM
2k3Neon
Default RE: Neon transmission woe... Help !!

anybody have any suggestions ??????

Old 11-08-2005, 04:07 PM
StepOnIt

How many miles or km does the car has?
Did you ever perform transmission maintenance (change filter and fluid)?
Did you ever put anything else than ATF+3 or ATF+4 fluid in it?
Also look at http://www.allpar.com/fix/trans.html
[&:]

Old 11-08-2005, 05:34 PM
2k3Neon

Car had 17,000 on it when we got it, it now has about 47,000 on it. I was in for maint about 3 months ago for what the dealer said was over due maint that should have been done at about 40,000. I dont believe they touched the transmission but I'd have to look at the reciept to be sure.

The only thing we normally do is routing oil changes, just had new brakes put on about 6 months ago, plus whatever the dealer did in the shop.

A friend of mine suggested getting the transmission flushed, and that there may be some type of blockage? [X(]

Thanks!!!!

Old 11-08-2005, 07:57 PM
StepOnIt

In the article I referred to earlier (see previous reply) someone says that replacing the fluid and filter and re-initializing the computer (i.e. disconnecting the battery for a few minutes) sometimes helps. But it there is damage to some internal parts that might not do it...
Did you check the transmission fluid level?

Quick Reply: Neon transmission woe... Help !!