Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

turbo neon power

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 11:16 PM
98boosting neon rt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo neon power

OK, i have a 1998 neon RT and i want to boost it. i know cost and everything and probably where i going to get it from. with a boost control and new wastegate, how much power and boost will the motor be able to control before it need new internal like pistons and rods?

Old 11-07-2005, 11:43 PM
HemiMan4451
Champion
Default RE: turbo neon power

It might help if you posted this in the neon section....

Old 11-08-2005, 11:55 AM
nickoman01
The Only Elite DF Member

Ill move this there, you will probably get more help there.

Old 11-08-2005, 04:48 PM
Freerider
Record Breaker

if you are going for a turbo, it is probably already wise to go and give your motor a nixe christmas present. By this ofcoarse i mean you should probably invest in getting your cylinders bored and new performance pistons, etc etc. All that will increase your engines life with the turbo and make it perform better even before installation BEFORE the turbo. Its wise to upgrade most of the parts, becuase all the stock parts arent meant to handle the stress a turbo can put on it. Always to be safe than sorry and get everything looked over and upgraded so that the turbo will go on fine, and most of all, perform to is maximum abilities.

not to mention... you wont blow up or kill your engine or something going from first to second gear becuase you didnt know about a fault with your engine's timing, cylinders, or a poor spark from your plugs.

My 2 cents. Hope that helps you out a little bit. BTW what kit are you getting? Just interested is all

Old 11-08-2005, 06:15 PM
98boosting neon rt

my friend has a whole turbo set up with just about everything i need off of his SRT-4. the turbo has like 10,000 miles on it and the kid is nuts and wants more power so he said everything off of his car so either that or the hahn racecraft or chill- factory or i might look into a turbo setup for an eclipse and get a new maniflod

Old 11-08-2005, 10:11 PM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

The stock pistons and rods can handle about 225 ft-lbs torque. Above that, rods have a tendency to bend and pistons have a tendency to crack. Quite frankly, if this is your first turbo, leave the stock internals in there for now. This will give you time to play around and learn how to tune the setup. Eventually you're either going to push things too far and have to replace the internals (or just a stock block if you're short on cash), or you're going to find that the power is addictive and upgrade the internals anyways. So start saving nw for the pistons, rods, rings, and machine shop work. If you have the option, get the bigger turbo so you won't have to upgrade that...

Best of luck!

Old 11-09-2005, 03:52 PM
lblackneon
Champion

I've heard that u can't get a turbo and an upgraded PCM together. Is the reason b/c you'll need to rebuild and upgrade your engine with better internal parts?

Old 11-09-2005, 11:46 PM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

not true....where did you hear that???

Old 11-09-2005, 11:54 PM
lblackneon
Champion

Plenty of times on this forum. They kept saying that a PCM & turbo = boom! I believe it was also mentioned that the fuel mixture would be too rich or something.

Old 11-10-2005, 01:00 AM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

well you would have to run premium w/ the newer mopar PCM but wouldnt make it self destruct unless you used the stock injectors and pump to where it was leaning out too much. The PCM would recognize the upgrades and adjust accordingly but if your fuel system was s/u for only so much fuel consumption of course it would be a bad idea. Cars w/ out regulation on so much fuel is also a bad idea...upgrading fuel components to where the cylinders are oversprayed will only cause too much build up and will have nowhere to go and when it ignites will cause problems too...thats why some stock ECUs need reflashing or upgrades. Too many mods work against it. This happened w/ my sentra...it was fun for a while and then boom sitting in my garage broken. your best bet is the programmable stand alone like mega squirt... And anyhow if the torque band is past the 215 mark it will stretch the connecting rods.... w/ stock components which could be the problem it could be the reason most ppls engines self destructed, w/ boosting over 6-8 psi.............which is why tuning is an important factor. And engine kits are a good idea if investing in a turbo.

Quick Reply: turbo neon power