2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

05 dodge neon, not sure the problem.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 05:01 PM
Kate Serenity
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 dodge neon, not sure the problem.

05 dodge neon sxt, engine runs great, manual 5speed, 206,000 miles or so. When the car is running i try to drive it and it goes nowhere! Not sure what's wrong. It won't move an inch, I'm not sure if the clutch has lost all grip, or if the transmission isn't going into gear or what, I can rev it with the clutch let out and my shifter moved into gear but the car doesn't move at all. Is my clutch just dead? Is my transmission shot? Is my shifter not doing anything? Please help me figure out what's wrong with my car!

Old 10-02-2017, 05:14 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Could be any of those three things. First, check the linkages between the shifter and transmission, if those are ok, most likely your clutch is shot. Time to get it replaced.

Old 10-02-2017, 05:38 PM
Kate Serenity

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Could be any of those three things. First, check the linkages between the shifter and transmission, if those are ok, most likely your clutch is shot. Time to get it replaced.
well that gives me a place to start, thanks

Old 10-04-2017, 12:09 PM
Kate Serenity

well the shift linkage is good and linkage ends are good, just replaced the bushings on the ends of the linkage, now it's time to start pulling everything off so I can use a cherry picker and grab the engine and trans so I can change the clutch. Since I'm gonna have it mostly apart, I'll check all the wires, fuseable links, fuses, relays, change all the fuilds and filters, probably hand clean the motor and put new seals and gaskets, clean the fuel injectors and throttle body, change the spark plugs, so when I put it all back together it'll be like I gave it full servicing. Maybe I'll even do a brake job on it while I wait for the clutch I ordered.