Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

No Crank 02 Neon Base Model Due to a Security Light?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2019, 02:35 PM
James Parrish
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry No Crank 02 Neon Base Model Due to a Security Light?

There is a TON of info on this troublesome Neon, but I will keep it to the latest facts. After a brief drive & stop at a grocery store, with no warning, the car just refused to start. Jumping it, push-starting the 5spd, and even a screwdriver to the starter all failed to work. Replaced: ignition switch & starter. Car cranked after the replacement starter was installed. Drove it 20 miles. It was overheating by the time I pulled off the freeway, spewing antifreeze out of the radiator hose. I let it cool down. Filled the radiator with water (fluid inside was still deep green). It cranked again but again rapidly-overheated. I figured perhaps I'd placed the hose backwards after the starter was put in & flipped it, tightened the clamps. The car cranked a 3rd time. No improvement in the overheating. Drove it home. Pulled into the garage & it has not started again since. The battery is quite new, but still, I filled the reservoirs with distilled water. The dome light comes on as do the head & taillights work. Weirder still: turn signals are not functioning. The hazard lights? Yes, they work. I am at the end of my rope with this Neon, and if I cannot figure out the cause, a rope may be tied to it as it is lowered into Neon Hell. Fuses & Relays replaced. The "Fuse" & "No Bus" errors that were displaying beneath the digital mileage readout went away. No further errors aside from the check engine light pops up. Please help! The reason I mentioned the security light possibly being an option is because a dummy light on the dash that would start flashing as a theft deterrent when the car was turned off stopped functioning when it stopped cranking. The wires had separated, but even re-wiring it failed to work. It seems as if the engine simply isn't getting the spark it needs. Yes, the spark plugs & wires are fine.

Quick Reply: No Crank 02 Neon Base Model Due to a Security Light?