Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Question on Valve Spring install.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 03:57 AM
neon2_0t
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on Valve Spring install.

I was wondering how hard it is to replace the valve springs. I have a new cam and have read that it is a good idea to replace the valve springs along with the cam. The car is my daily driver and I can’t have the car out of commission that long maybe 2 days max.

Old 01-04-2006, 09:06 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Question on Valve Spring install.

Regular valve spring compressors don't work so well on the SOHC. The best I've seen is a modified open-end wrench that had been ground down and bent to fit... I'm sure the right part is out there, probably from Miller Special Tools, but don't know how much it is... The procedure in the Haynes manual works fine, pretty close to what the FSM says. If you don't have any type of manual, get one...

You can do the job with the head on or off. If you're going to take it off and you are anywhere near 80-100k miles since the last timing belt/water pump change, this would be a good time to do it again. Use a good soft wood (pine) under the head to help prevent scoring the surface. Buy new head bolts, don't reuse the old ones. It may be worth it to get new keepers (titanium NOT required) since they are a pain to find if they go flying off into the unknown (good chance...).

If you are going to leave the head on, you'll have to find some way to prevent the valves from falling into the cylinder when you remove the keepers... There is an adapter for your spark plug hole that attaches to an air compressor that is probably the most commonly used method. Then there's the rope method where you turn the crank to get 2 pistons at BDC, insert a nylon/synthetic rope through the spark plug hole until you can't fit any more in, then turn the crank towards TDC until there's a decent amount of resistance. There is a very slight risk of bending a valve this way, and there's still a risk of dropping a valve either way you go. If you drop a valve in there, you'll have to take the head off anyways... Taking the head off (including removing the manifolds and wiring and stuff) only adds an hour or two to the job, plus the cost of new head bolts and maybe a new head gasket.

If you are mechanically inclined, you should be able to get the head off, remove the old valve springs and cam, install the new springs and cam, replace the timing belt and water pump, and get the head back on in a weekend easily. You could probably get it all done in a day if things go well, even by yourself, first time, with hand tools... A mechanically inclined friend and/or power tools go a long way to making things faster.

Best of luck!

Quick Reply: Question on Valve Spring install.