Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

96 neon timing belt broke going 70 mph

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 04:08 PM
nokesc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 neon timing belt broke going 70 mph

my wifes 96 neon lost lost the bearings from the timing belt tensioner and shredded the timing belt. the car was going about 70 mph on the freeway when this happened. I've replaced the tensioner and the belt & I believe I've got the crank and cams lined up correctly (dohc). The first time I cranked it there was a backfire and nothing else, it just cranks but doesn't seem to make any attempt to be firing. How sensitive is the timing? is it possible that if the cams or crank are off by a degree that it wouldn't even attempt to fire? I've checked for both spark and fuel and it's getting both. What else could it be? I've heard it could be a problem with valves, how could I tell?

Old 01-06-2006, 04:11 PM
Gary Howell
Professional
Default RE: 96 neon timing belt broke going 70 mph

You also need 16 valves to fix it. That is an interferance engine, when the belt breaks it bends all the valves.

Old 01-06-2006, 07:30 PM
nokesc

forgive my ignorance ... I'm trying to save as much as possible ... is this something that if I pull off the head and take it to a shop they could replace / repair? Is it even worth it to pull the head or should I just take the car to a shop?

Old 01-07-2006, 12:27 AM
Gary Howell
Professional

Yes, you need to remove the head. A machine shop can fix it.

Old 01-07-2006, 12:56 AM
95NeonJS
Professional

First of all! We're in the same boat. I have a 95 neon, and I had the same thing happen. I was doing about 60 mph, and my timing belt was absolutely shredded when I took it out. I replaced the timing and had a compression test done (thats where they check to see if your car has compression in all of the valves and cylinders) Well the compression test yeilded that I had compression in 1 valve. Meaning 15 were bent. I checked with a local dodge dealer and they quoted me at $1,400 to have the head replaced. (Headwork sucks really bad) So I found a used 95 engine near my house for sale $750. And I am putting the engine in with the help of a friend who has all the tools necessary.

I would say your options are:

1. Pay for replacement heads and valves and have them charge you a bunch of money to do so. Dodge quoted me $1,400

2. Buy a used engine and pay a mechanic to do a swap somewhere around $600 for the labor and you can probably find a used engine with less than 60k mi. on it. (I'm guessing the engine you currently have is above 100k)

3. Purchase a rebulit motor ($2000) with installation at your local dodge dealership. This is probably the most reliable because it is a brand spankin new motor (well... rebuilt, so new enough) Plus the dealer will probably give you a 1 or 2 year warranty.

4. Buy a 96 or another 1st edition neon and it will probably run you about the same as paying for replacement heads and labor.

Like I said, I bought a used motor, the one I bought had 46,000 mi. on it. (the one I had was at 118k) I payed $750 for the engine. But luckily I have a buddy who helped me do the swap on a weekend and since we did it together it was free. I am very sorry to hear about your situation. Good Luck! reply back with what you plan to do, and post again later with how you like the results...

Old 01-07-2006, 06:48 AM
casper
Legend

You can get the head done for around $300-$400 and do all the work yourself. You will need a torque wrench and head gasket, but it will save you some if you do it yourself.

Old 01-08-2006, 03:05 AM
scaredpoet

For you two who've have the timing belt shred on you: was the timing belt ever replaced at any point prior to this, as preventative maintenance?

I guess the timing belt is the only thing that really makes me skittish about the Neon. Prior this I'd owned GM vehicles that had timing chains, which were basically designed to last the life of the vehicle (and more often than not, they do).

Old 01-08-2006, 05:05 PM
95NeonJS
Professional

I bought the neon with 112,000 on it. But I was unaware that the timing belt wasn't changed at 102,000 which it should have been. (BEFORE I BOUGHT IT) anyway, you change them at 60 and 100k miles. But it is always good to have them check for wear or damage. I wouldn't be afraid of a timing belt breaking as long as you have the scheduled maintanance done

Old 01-10-2006, 02:07 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

Per the owner's manual and FSM, timing belt and water pump every 105k, not 60k. I personally wouldn't go more than 85-90k again, which is coming up here pretty quick...

Old 01-12-2006, 05:30 PM
95NeonJS
Professional

I have a Chilton, and it says to have it replaced at 102,000k but most seem to go earlier. However, on Allpar.com it says to have it checked at 60 when you go in for all of your other maintanence.

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/2.html

"Things to remember.. change the timing belt *AND* the pullies for the timing belt at 60K.. and regular oil changes. The pullies for the timing belt... the bearings aren't good for more than the 60K.. most timing belts I've done on the 2.0L, the pullies are just about dead (lots of play in the bearings)."

Quick Reply: 96 neon timing belt broke going 70 mph