Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Engine code 24 problems....

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 03:49 PM
99neon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine code 24 problems....

Okay, so the other day I degreased the engine just to clean it up a little and shortly after that I started having problems. At first the idle started to be a little jumpy, going between the normal 1000rpm to around 1500-2000rpm. Then I was driving along in 3rd gear at about 3000rpm and the engine bogged like it was gonna die for a second, then started running like normal again, but that's when the check engine light turned on. So I got home checked the code and it kicked out the normal 12 and 55, but it also kicked out 24 which when I looked it up said: 24 Throttle Position sensor out of range....Does anyone know why degreasing the engine would have tripped that code or have any ideas on what could be the problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Old 05-02-2004, 04:36 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Engine code 24 problems....

Wait until everything dries off good, then disconnect the battery for 5 minutes and reconnect it. After that drive it around for a few minutes and see if it comes back on. I'm guessing that it won't come back on. It probably just got some water/cleaner into the connection/plug and that is what caused the problem.

Old 05-02-2004, 08:46 PM
99neon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply, I let it dry, disconnected the battery and then went for a drive after waiting about 5 mins, the check engine light came on with the same code again. So I went to the junk yard and got a throttle position sensor off of a wrecked neon for $10, put it in and everything seems to be working fine now

Old 05-03-2004, 07:43 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Odd that it went bad at the same time as the cleaning, but who can ever tell when somethings going to go wrong.[sm=smiley5.gif] Glad to hear that it was a simple and cheap fix though.[sm=smiley20.gif]

Quick Reply: Engine code 24 problems....