Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

2.0L SOHC on a 2.4L block???

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 08:31 PM
BOGUS
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.0L SOHC on a 2.4L block???

Is it possible to put a 2.0L SOHC head on a 2.4L DOHC block? The reason I ask is because me and a buddy are going to be racing circle track and its required to run a SOHC engine. So we want the extra displacement but need the SOHC head from the 2.0L to make it "look" stock. I doubt anyone has tried this because its really a step back in performance when it comes to heads but we dont have a choice in that matter. However if they think its a 2.0L then "it is a 2.0"! LOL

Thanks,

BoGus

Old 01-21-2006, 12:33 PM
Gary Howell
Professional
Default RE: 2.0L SOHC on a 2.4L block???

Yes it is possible, and has been done. It uses 99% OE parts with some modification.

Old 01-23-2006, 05:45 PM
BOGUS

What size combustion camber is the 2.0 SOHC and what size is the 2.4 DOHC. Basically Im looking for how much my compression will change with the 2.0 SOHC head on teh 2.4L DOHC block.

Thanks

Old 01-23-2006, 06:38 PM
whyte69
Veteran

I'd be careful when trying to spoof the race officials on the type of car you actually have. A quick peek at the car's VIN number will reveal the type of car you've actually got. That is, of course unless you've swapped a new motor in there. The 8th digit will tell you what size engine the car originally came with.

VIN info here

Old 01-23-2006, 08:39 PM
BOGUS

Well thats why we want to use the SOHC head on the 2.4L block. They wont figure out that we have a different block in there. Racing is all about who can cheat the most with out getting caught!

Now what did the F - 2.0L "High-Output Magnum" SOHC come in?

Old 01-24-2006, 03:26 AM
tchase
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: BOGUS

Now what did the F - 2.0L "High-Output Magnum" SOHC come in?
That would be the 2000+ R/T. It's actually quite a bit different than the regular SOHC's but does interchange. I believe the block is the same (up to a certain year) but the cam, compression ratio, and I believe crank and rods (maybe not on those) are unique. It also uses an active intake manifold, which slightly complicates things for someone wanting to swap it into an older vehicle. Quite do-able though I believe.

Old 01-24-2006, 12:05 PM
BOGUS

Well we arent going to swap that whole motor in just because it would cost too much just for the motor. We were hoping it was in an older Neon and we could just find one cheap that we could fix up. But I doubt we'll find a 2000+ R/T cheap.

BoGus

Old 01-29-2006, 05:44 AM
BOGUS

Ok guys, we bought a 1996 Neon 2.0L SOHC with a 3 speed tranny(I think its a 3 speed but I havent seen the car yet). Now we obviously want to get some more power out of this 2.0L. Now about swapping in the 2.4L block for the 2.0L block, I see that the 2.0L DOHC uses the same head as teh 2.4L DOHC head but is the old 2.0L SOHC head going to bolt up to a 2000 2.4L block? We obviously dont really want to rip the motor out if its not possible.

We just need some info on this swap if its been done. All we can find is info for putting a DOHC head on a SOHC block. And these swaps seem to be no very well documented. Just point us in the right direction and we'll do the rest.

Guy

Old 02-07-2006, 07:39 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

The head will bolt on. One of the problems is hunting around and finding a timing belt that will work. I know there were other issues in getting that all done, and I really didn't keep up with the projects.

Realize that the 2.4L DOHC was rated at 150HP, and the 2.0L DOHC was rated at the same 150 HP. So swapping the regular SOHC head on an otherwise stock 2.4L block isn't really going to get you all that much except from some extra torque. With increased compression, a much more agressive camshaft, etc., maybe it would be worth it, all depends on where in the RPM band you plan on spending most of your time I suppose. I think you would have been better off swapping the Magnum ("F") head and intake manifold (bolts right on, window switch for the manifold), or just swapping the whole Magnum motor, which you can find for $500-700 pretty easily nowadays. For all that's involved, swapping an entire working motor in usually takes less time and effort than a head swap (figure in the timing belt and all).

Best of luck!

Old 02-08-2006, 12:17 AM
BOGUS

We pulled the 2.0 SOHC motor out of the car this weekend. We started swapping the 2.4L block into the 2.0's place. The timing belt tension is an issue but we have a pretty simple solution to that. We are going to modify the tensioner mount to take up the slack in the belt. Should be a very easy fix.

Since this is a race car there are "rules" that we have to follow. We cant swap in a different motor from a different car. Thats why we are only swapping in the 2.4L block. It wont be very obvious to a person who doesnt work on dodges all day long. We are both dodge technicans so swapping this block in isnt really a big deal. If we only gain a 20HP and 20TQ it will be worth it because other guys with neons arent going to think of this most likely.

We are going to modify the mount tomorrow night and put it on the engine the next day and then check for valve clearance. It shouldnt be an issue but we are going to check it anyways.

Now does anyone know what out compression ratio will go to? The 2.0 had flat tops in it and the 2.4 has valve reliefs in the pistons. The combustion cambers in both heads look very simialer but the volume in each cylinder is goingup from .5L to .6L, so thats a 20% increase in displacement into the same size combustion camber. I would think that if the combustion cambers were the same size(in theory for now) that the compression would just be what ever the 2.4L was, right?

BoGus

Quick Reply: 2.0L SOHC on a 2.4L block???