Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

I want to swap my motor with a stratus will it work?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006 | 12:02 AM
tchase
Professional
Default RE: I want to swap my motor with a stratus will it work?

ORIGINAL: casper

ORIGINAL: bboyFlava

what about the sohc stratus 2.4L engine, will it make the car faster than the stock 2.0 sohc?
Yep, that it will. However the SRT-4 2.4L turbo swap will not cost that much more and will give you a lot more HP as well as a lot more potential HP.
SPOBI on you again Casper! Read the post carefully agian. If you don't see a problem with your response I challenge you to produce evidence of the existance of this "2.4 SOHC" engine. The SOHC JA car engine is a 2.0, there has never been a SOHC 2.4. Ever.

The rest of your info here ain't that hot either. As Radar said, the SRT swap is huge work while swapping in a JA 2.4 is much simpler and can be quite effective. Factor in how much cheaper the donor engine would be and I still think it's a way better option to the average enthusiast.

Old 02-15-2006 | 02:07 AM
highline95jl
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: tchase

ORIGINAL: casper

ORIGINAL: bboyFlava

what about the sohc stratus 2.4L engine, will it make the car faster than the stock 2.0 sohc?
Yep, that it will. However the SRT-4 2.4L turbo swap will not cost that much more and will give you a lot more HP as well as a lot more potential HP.
SPOBI on you again Casper! Read the post carefully agian. If you don't see a problem with your response I challenge you to produce evidence of the existance of this "2.4 SOHC" engine. The SOHC JA car engine is a 2.0, there has never been a SOHC 2.4. Ever.

The rest of your info here ain't that hot either. As Radar said, the SRT swap is huge work while swapping in a JA 2.4 is much simpler and can be quite effective. Factor in how much cheaper the donor engine would be and I still think it's a way better option to the average enthusiast.
I hate to break it to you but this isnt the place to bash on peoples info. I understand if he got it wrong, we all say some stuff that in reality doesnt work, but we also learn from eachother. We all benifit on this site from other peoples successes and failures. Casper wouldnt be a moderator if he just made **** up. Hes actually helped me out on my car many a time. That said Ive heard that the 2.4l out of the Stratus is a little bit more bang than the buck and is easier to pull off than the 2.4 out of the SRT-4. Thats my 2 cents. We all just need to take it easy and take EVERYONES word with a grain of salt on here.

Old 02-15-2006 | 02:38 AM
whyte69
Veteran

wouldn't it make more sense that the SRT-4 engine would be a better fit than a 6 cylinder engine would? The SRT-4 is built on the Neon's design, though you'd be doing quite a bit of work in converting it. Any conversion is going to be lots of work. If you can get a full SRT-4 engine, I'd go for that. Get an SRT-4 that's been totaled in a crash and simply replace everything that's been scrapped. The most probable replacements are going to be the front mount inter-cooler, the radiator, throttle-body, Air-intake, radiator hoses.

I can tell you right now that I have ZERO experience with the Stratus motor, so I have almost no idea on how that swap would work. I have a bit better of an idea of how the SRT-4 motor compares to the Neon motor and could probably pull together a parts list and a step by step conversion. In reality I could probably perform a swap from an SRT to a 2nd gen Neon if given enough time, though I can't afford to have my daily driver sitting in a garage for that long.

Old 02-15-2006 | 07:20 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

How did a V6 get figured into this? Pretty sure everyone is referring to the very common 2.4L swap that's been done for years now...

Steve's naturally aspirated 2.4L was putting down over 240 HP to the wheels on stock internals (and no snapped axles, if I remember right...). Turbo'd 2.4L's are quite capable of 600 HP (as are turbo'd 2.0L's for that matter). The n/a 2.4L's are wicked cheap compared to an SRT-4 motor. I think it's cool that people have done the SRT-4 swap and all, but it by no means is an easier or "better" swap.

Quick Reply: I want to swap my motor with a stratus will it work?