Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

what spark-plug wire set...im running a bosch wire set... save me!! lol

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 02:18 PM
Customlimitz863
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what spark-plug wire set...im running a bosch wire set... save me!! lol

hey guys. well. i had plat-4's with a bosch wire set.. well now i know that having a copper based engine isnt such a smart idea running plat.......so tell me? what's the best wire set to get. i have a msd cil. would msd sire be most compatible.. im looking for performance mainly as we all are.......

Old 02-12-2006, 04:40 PM
whyte69
Veteran
Default RE: what spark-plug wire set...im running a bosch wire set... save me!! lol

you could go MSD or Crane. Crane has a lower resistance accross the entire length of the wire. MSD is a close second.

Old 02-20-2006, 09:39 PM
acid_mojojojo
Rookie
Default RE: what spark-plug wire set...im running a bosch wire set... save me!! lol

I have been looking all over and I have yet to find the custom fit MSD or Crane wire sets for my 03 Dodge Neon SXT. Will the ones for the SRT-4 work or are the lengths different?

Or if anyone has the part number or links I would be appreciative. =)

Old 02-20-2006, 10:14 PM
highline95jl
Record Breaker

I belive the wires are the same.

Old 02-21-2006, 02:20 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: whyte69

you could go MSD or Crane. Crane has a lower resistance accross the entire length of the wire. MSD is a close second.
Where do you get that Crane is better than MSD and has lower resistance than the MSD? The MSD Super Conductor plug wires are only 40-50 ohms per foot of resistance where the Crane Firewire is 400 ohms per foot of resistance, that's 10 times more resistance than the MSD's. Granted the Crane wires are far superior to the stock wires and most stock replacements, but they pale in comparison to the MSD's.

The MSD Super Conductor plug wires are by far the best and I highly recommend them and used them on my '99 Neon R/T when I had it and I currently have them on my SRT-4. I would also have them on my Roadrunner, but they don't make them for the stock type distributor cap so it has the Accel 300+ Race Wire. I also just put the MSD's on my stepbrothers '99 Neon R/T as well as the MSD coil pack. The MSD's for the SRT-4 are the exact same as the ones for the 2.0L DOHC Neon engines, but they will not work on your SXT. I know that MSD makes wires for the 2.0L SOHC Neon engines as well. Howell lists MSD's for the '03-'05 SOHC Neons, here is a direct link to them: http://www.howellautomotive.com/inde...ROD&ProdID=385

Old 02-21-2006, 02:34 AM
jimmyk

RoadRunner, you are actually incorrect on the spec of the Crane Wires, According to Howell Automotive the crane wires are 25 ohms per foot.

http://www.howellautomotive.com/inde...ROD&ProdID=378

Old 02-21-2006, 03:02 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

Here is what it says from another source: http://www.neoncars.com/plugwires.htm Cranes website also says 25 ohms per foot of resistance, but it says more than just that. Here is exactly what Crane says about their wires: "• Very low 25 ohm resistance assures maximum spark-gap energy is delivered to the spark plugs. (most applications)" The way it is put, they state that it has that low resistance for "most applications", but not all applications. And where and how it is stated does not mean that they are simply stating that they have these wires available for "most applications", they are refering only to the applications that have that low resistance meaning that some will and do have higher resistance than 25 ohms per foot. I have seen a resistance tester using various different plug wires and the MSD were the best and I do believe that the Crane wires were on it as well as Moroso, Accel and a couple others.

Old 02-21-2006, 04:00 AM
whyte69
Veteran

I didn't say that Crane was better than MSD, I said that it had a lower resistance. Granted, lowest resistance is not always best, but I'd say that it would work for the average user out there looking to replace their spark plug wires.

If they are for "most" applications, can you tell me what applications they wouldn't be used for? I really am interested in knowing what applications they shouldn't be used for. I'm not mocking you, please take my word on this. I know that it's a little hard to convey tone of voice or context with words alone.

What I would like to prove to you is that Crane wires can be used for simple day-to-day applications as well as high end uses. In fact Howell had a project car, maybe you've seen it on their main site. Among other things, they use Crane wires on it. I'm using them on my car too, and have never had a problem running them. Would a nitrous application be outside of that scope? Should they not be used on cars with carburetors?

I'm all for learning and I would like to know when not to recommend one brand over another. I try to read as much as I can before giving someone an answer. I simply felt that this was a pretty simple answer and was able to come up with an answer pretty quickly.

Old 02-21-2006, 06:09 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

You have misunderstood what I was trying to say. I'm not saying, and neither is Crane, that there are any applications in which they shouldn't be used, what it means is that in some applications the wire will not actually be as low as 25 ohms per foot of resistance for one reason or another. For instance if a wire is too close to another electrical wire(s) or component(s) and they have to increase the resistance to more than 25 ohms per foot to suppress the RFI enough to keep from causing interference.

Either way Crane makes a great wire that is far better than any stock wire and most aftermarket wires. All I had found was the Neon site listing them at 400 ohms per foot of resistence before I checked their own site and with what they said about "most applications" makes the 400 ohms per foot resistance possible for the Neon. I have no idea why they would need to or even if they did, they would simply have to be tested to see exactly what their resistance is. Besides, with both brands that close and none of the plug wires on a Neon being even a foot long it really doesn't matter any at all. Now if we were talking about a V8 with wires that can be up to almost 4 feet long, then the difference may show and be a deciding factor. I use to always prefer Accel wires, but the MSD's were just better and if I find another better wire for around the same price I may then switch again.

Old 02-21-2006, 12:47 PM
Customlimitz863
Professional

ORIGINAL: acid_mojojojo

I have been looking all over and I have yet to find the custom fit MSD or Crane wire sets for my 03 Dodge Neon SXT. Will the ones for the SRT-4 work or are the lengths different?

Or if anyone has the part number or links I would be appreciative. =)
.........here you go buddy? link to howell for that msd coil. should be the flat terminals.. be sure of that.....

http://www.howellautomotive.com/inde...ROD&ProdID=260

remember. flat terminals.....

Quick Reply: what spark-plug wire set...im running a bosch wire set... save me!! lol