Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Fiance's Neon needs help...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 12:25 PM
RadarLove
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fiance's Neon needs help...

Out of curiosity, what is CPS? Not a term I'm familiar with in reference to the Neon...

With the plugs, make sure you go with basic copper plugs gapped properly (Bosch coppers and NGK coppers/V-powers are cheap and reliable). Platinums and distributorless/wasted spark ignitions do not get along. There's a sticky in this forum that deals a little with that. Same goes for plug wires - dealer replacements, Mopar, Crane, MSD, or Magnecor are the only ones I'd trust. You can get an MSD coilpack for about the same price you'd pay for a stocker at the dealer or a parts store, they're all identical units, so just go with whatever's cheapest.

A sticking injector or a sticking valve can also cause a single cylinder misfire. With a bad coilpack, you tend to get a multiple cylinder misfire because two plugs are always fired at the same time. And before hitting the coilpack, try checking the wiring and connector going into the coilpack, a frayed wire or loose connection will do the same thing.

Best of luck!

Old 02-20-2006, 06:29 PM
mpwal099
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CPS= crankshaft Position Sensor

Yes b4 I install the new coil pack I am going to be checking all the wires/ connections/ plugs although they are all brand new. Checking for a fouled plug, and giving it a seafoam treatment.

When my coil pack went on my Saturn i had only 1 cylinder misfire and had to replace the whole pack. I was lucky enough to have mine look like sparkler under my hood when it went bad so maybe hers will be like that too. I will find out in about an hour when she finally gets here.

Thanks again guys!

Mike

Old 02-21-2006, 01:48 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go with the MSD coil pack, it is far better made than stock with the same output and cheaper, MSD $69.99 vs. stock replacement $85.99. If you want to give it the best spark possible as well as fuel mileage you can get the MSD/NGK bundle pack from Jegs that gives you the MSD coil pack, MSD 8.5 mm Super Conductor plug wires and NGK V-power spark plugs. Here is a direct link to the bundle: http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...0923&langId=-1

Quick Reply: Fiance's Neon needs help...