Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Transmission fluid flush questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 07:58 PM
acid_mojojojo
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission fluid flush questions

Hi again everyone.

Couple of quick questions. I have a 03 Neon SXT ATX, and I was wondering when I should get the transmission fluid and filter changed. I was also wondering if the "special" service that a lot of shops around offer that "completely" flush the system. Is this worth the money?

thanks

Old 02-20-2006, 08:16 PM
casper
Legend
Default RE: Transmission fluid flush questions

I don't remember the dodge spec, but its around 50K - 60K miles. You should be able to get a flush and fill for under $100, around here I can get it done for $75.

Old 02-20-2006, 08:35 PM
acid_mojojojo
Rookie

Thanks, I have called a few places.

Firestone wants 109.99 for flush only and 192.52 for flush and filter change.
Precision Tune wants 69.90 for flush and 129.90 for flush and filter.
Kwik Kar is 69.95 for flush and they do not change the filter.

Ok just talked to Dodge dealer and OMG they are not the most expensive. 99.95 for flush and 135.83 for full service (flush fill filter gasket and readjusting the linkage) and she said she would give me 15% off. She also said that Dodge recommends changing every 30K.

Anymore thoughts on this?

Old 02-21-2006, 02:58 PM
acid_mojojojo
Rookie

no thoughts?

Old 02-22-2006, 01:58 PM
casper
Legend

You want a flush, fill, filter, and adjust the bands. I hate to say it, but that sounds like what the dealer is offering, at the best price no less.

Old 02-22-2006, 03:10 PM
acid_mojojojo
Rookie

Yes I was surprised that it was the best price. But every 30K miles seems like a lot, does it really need to be done that often?

I do not mind spending money when my car needs it, I just do not want to pay for service that is not necessary.

Old 02-22-2006, 05:22 PM
casper
Legend

I would push it to 50,000. It all depends on how hard you drive. The harder you drive the more often you should change the fluid. Take a look at it, if it looks new, then your probally fine.

Old 02-22-2006, 07:57 PM
neon1985
Professional

the dealer offering the lowest price the end of the world has to be soon!..........................

Old 02-23-2006, 04:29 PM
acid_mojojojo
Rookie

I like to think I do not drive too hard. Not real quick starts or anything. I do like to open it up every now and then on the highway, just to have some fun and let the engine work a bit hehehehe. I am at 48K now, so 50 is not too far off, I will just get it done and see how it goes from there. Thanks for the input, I appreciate the help.

Old 02-23-2006, 05:46 PM
Customlimitz863
Professional

ORIGINAL: acid_mojojojo

I like to think I do not drive too hard. Not real quick starts or anything. I do like to open it up every now and then on the highway, just to have some fun and let the engine work a bit hehehehe. I am at 48K now, so 50 is not too far off, I will just get it done and see how it goes from there. Thanks for the input, I appreciate the help.
I HEARD A DODGE DEALER.SERVICE CENTER S THE BEST WAY TO GO...ONE THEY ALWAYS PROVIDE YOU THE BEST FLUID..NOTHING LIKE DEXRON WHICH I HEAR IS A BIG NONOOOO...AND THEIR MOPAR FILTERS ARE BEST FOR OUR NEONS...AND I BELIEVE AT3 IS FOR OUR CARS.... BUT WE CAN EASILY GET THE NICE AT4'2ONLY THAT I FOUND. AT THE CHRYSLER/DODGE SERVICE CENTERS AS WELL.. BEST OF LUCK....LET ME KNOW HOW IT TURNS OUT....
PS.. OH AND LOOK INTO A TRANS FLUID COOLER..DEF A RECOMMENDATION FOR THOSE TIMES U PUSHIN THE TRANS HARD.....U CAN GET EM AT N E AUTO PARTS STORE FOR ABOUT 30-40 BUCKS....

FROM A SITE ILL POST AT THE BOTTOM.....
>>>>>>>>Truth is any 6 Pass cooler will work, and do the job perfect. There is such a thing as TOO BIG when it comes to trans coolers though. If you run say a 10 pass cooler in tandem with a stock cooler and leave for work on a cold morning. You’ll notice your car is holding second gear a lot longer than it usually does. This is the trans going through a warm up mode trying to get the fluid to optimum temps for operation. It’s not bad for the trans per say, but it’s annoying if you hit the gas and it sticks in gear and then pounds into third gear. The temps you want to stay around are 185-200 degrees, those are optimal temps for good life of the trans and better power transfer.

http://www.exileracing.com/transinfo.htm

IM SURE U HAVE THE SAME TRANS AS ME.. THE A604/TE41...FIND OUT TO BE SURE...

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid flush questions