Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

is custom awd possible

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 03:35 AM
leathal neon97
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is custom awd possible

i was wondering if it was at all possible to built a turbo awd neon using some tallon tsi drive train and alot modification and will a 4g63 swap work my friend has an evo 8 and i keep with it fro 40 to 110ish but from dead stop im screwed i want to know if its possible to fight fire with fire

Old 03-13-2006, 03:41 AM
highline95jl
Record Breaker
Default RE: is custom awd possible

its possible to spend alot of money, anythings possible with money

go for it

Old 03-13-2006, 03:53 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

There's a guy on this board who did an AWD conversion on an Avenger. It's possible, but honestly, its a lot of custom fabrication and money. Not to mention it aint something you can just take somewhere and have it fixed if you break it. It's a royal PITA. Buy an SRT-4 or wait for the Caliber....dont waste the money unless your serious about cars....

Old 03-13-2006, 05:43 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, anythings possible with enough money and/or the right tools and knowledge. If you happen to do it we would love to see some pics of it.[sm=Flahssssss.gif][sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 03-15-2006, 06:32 PM
casper
Legend

Its possible, but its gonna be all custom. Its about the same as putting a V8 in a neon its possible, but its alot of work. If you want all wheel drive why not buy a car already with it?

Old 03-15-2006, 07:11 PM
leathal neon97

I thought about buying an awd car but I like my neon and it would be well worth the swap people give me sh*t as it is for driving one til race them at the track then they shut up pretty quick
I wouldnt mind owning a wrx or an evo8 or tsi but if I could put all those qualitys it my neon it would be great. plus it comes in handy when you come across a smart a$$ with deep pockets and loud mouth we have a pretty good street sceene going on up here and alot of money to be made

Old 03-15-2006, 07:19 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: leathal neon97

I thought about buying an awd car but I like my neon and it would be well worth the swap people give me sh*t as it is for driving one til race them at the track then they shut up pretty quick
I wouldnt mind owning a wrx or an evo8 or tsi but if I could put all those qualitys it my neon it would be great. plus it comes in handy when you come across a smart a$$ with deep pockets and loud mouth we have a pretty good street sceene going on up here and alot of money to be made
You'd be better served dropping a SRT-4 motor into your Neon.....and then its a sleeper and its faster then an Evo/WRX

And it would be much cheaper and more efficient/reliable.

Old 03-15-2006, 09:33 PM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

Just remember that AWD means less power to the ground. A friend of mine up in NH dynoed his WRX stock, 167 HP to the wheels. Significantly less than his Neon (2.4L DOHC, ITB, Blackdog built monster). I love AWD cars as well, but it's only part of the picture. I'd take a Lotus Elise over an STi or Evolution any day for the same price range.

It wouldn't take much to be impressive at the drag strip ("my car is fast" track), or for autocross ("I know how to drive my fast car" track), or just on the street ("I can't wait to quadruple my insurance and pay hefty fines after spending the night with my new best friend Bubba" track...). You can prep a used engine for a serious turbo for $2-3k (long block, pistons, rods, p/p head, cams and gears, clutch, balancing), then another $3-4k for a complete intercooled turbo setup that will easily put you in the 350+ HP range, and there isn't much out there that's going to come close to your low 12's/high 11's street driven, full interior car. Add a set of K-Sport full coilovers for another $1k, sticky summer tires, lightweight (under 14 pounds) wheels, and you'll be carving corners like a go-kart on meth. In other words, you can make mincemeat out of pretty much any stock or mildly modified AWD car out there for well under half the price.

Best of luck!

Old 03-17-2006, 08:16 AM
moparman04
Captain

ELISE!!! THAT IS NUTHIN BUT A CELICA MOTOR IN A LIGHT CAR !!

Old 03-22-2006, 07:08 PM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

Riiiiiiight... Same motor, just 10 extra HP... and mid engine for better weight distribution... and better suspension...

Maybe we should all petition the SCCA. Obviously either the Celica GT shouldn't be in G-Stock (with the Neon), or the Elise is sadly misclassed in Super Stock.

For those willing and able to turn the steering wheel, the Elise is more than just a Celica engine in a light body. It's one of the least expensive in a class of less than a dozen cars. Beyond that, you start getting into the exotics.

Quick Reply: is custom awd possible