Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

amp installation

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 07:36 PM
bob4trina
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default amp installation

i have a 2004 neon and am trying to hook up an amp. how do you do it?

Old 06-14-2004, 07:50 PM
techmanbd
Record Breaker
Default RE: amp installation

need more info. Like:

What is it for? sub or speakers?
Is there any specific problem you are having?
are you installing a new stereo?

Old 06-15-2004, 10:04 PM
gabesn200sx

First of all your best bet would be to pull power (12V+) from the battery with some type of heavy duty fuse under the hood. Run the wire through the firewall by using either an existing hole or drill one. If you drill one it is best to protect the wire with some kind of plastic to avoid wearing a how through the insulation on the wire. You do not want to pull power from the fuse panel or you could cause some electronics in your car to malfunction or not work at all. Remote (REM) would be pulled from a lower power source like the same source that turns the stereo on or some new aftermarket stereos have a blue wire that is specifically there for the amp's remote. Ground ( - ) the amp to almost any metal bolt. You may have to experiment with some grounds. I know I had a hard time finding one in the trunk that worked.

Old 06-16-2004, 12:10 AM
zynvktca

i just completed an installation of 2 amplifires in my 03 neon. and responding to the message about grounding to an bolt, please let me give you a little more info on this. the ground is absolutly the most crucial point in wiring any electronic that either uses and delivers a lot of power, or has anything to do with sound or video quality. yes you can ground anything to bolts, but my suggestion to you for a VERY good amp installation is this. what i am going to tell you is called a "Y" 'ed grounding system. this will ensure you the best sound and most power out of your amp as long as you are running power from the + terminal on the battery. run a ground wire like 4 to 8 guage wire. it doesnt need to be anything think and fancy but dont want it too thin. 4 guage is good but 8 will do just the same. connect the ground to the ground on the amp. run about 2 feet and cut it. run another cable that is the same guage from the - terminal on the battery and run it long enough to reach the end of your 2ft peice that is connected to the amp. now if your neon is like mine, if you remove the rear bottom section of the rear seat ( by pulling up on it ) there are some large torques bolts holding the brackets for the back of the rear seat. now solder all 3 ends together. and use some heat shrink to cover the soldered section. this will not cause any power loss or deter the ground in any way, but will ensure that you are getting a solid ground. and your amp will perform like a champ. i will post pictures of my system soon if you are interested. or you can e-mail me and i will send you some. yockeyserveradmin@sbcglobal.net

Quick Reply: amp installation