Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Torque converter clutch solenoid circuit problem (Code 37)

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 06:55 PM
b_s_d
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque converter clutch solenoid circuit problem (Code 37)

Does anybody have any ideas on how to track down a problem in the torque converter clutch solenoid circuit on a '96 Highline coupe? I clear the PCM and get a code 37 failure as soon as I start the engine - so appears to be some sort of hard fault.

However, the transmission seems to be operating fine and the Park/Neutral switch is working as it should. Seems almost crazy that the "check engine soon" light turned on by this particular code would keep me from passing the state vehicle inspection.

Would appreciate any suggestions or leads.

Old 06-17-2004, 10:33 PM
b_s_d
Professional
Default RE: Torque converter clutch solenoid circuit problem (Code 37)

Got an answer and fix on this. The torque converter clutch solenoid circuit connector is just behind the filler tube where it attaches to the a/t case. Found accumulated crud kept it from seating properly when it was reconnected after a prior owner's repairs - very lucky since replacing the solenoid is apparently not trivial. It must have been like that for a long time since it burned the "check engine soon" bulb out.

Reason this code turns on the emissions fault lamp appears to be that gas milage suffers a bit if the torque converter isn't able to lock at cruising speeds. Only other bad effect is extra heat in the transmission from the slippage that occurs whenever it is not locked.

Old 06-17-2004, 11:25 PM
NYG
Veteran

Did you answer your own question?

Old 06-18-2004, 12:12 PM
b_s_d
Professional

I try to post the solution/resolution for any questions I raise on forums like this regardless of where the help comes from. Figure it may make it easier for the next person searching the archives on a similar problem.

Old 06-18-2004, 01:07 PM
Dodgegirl19
Lady Administrator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So glad you got it figured out! And thanks for posting the solution!!

~Amanda

Old 11-04-2009, 10:21 AM
Dodge.Ismo
Veteran
Default Code 37 !!!

Hello Dodge enthusiasts. Even thiugh this is an old thread, I also believe in helping others with important information. I had code 37 in my 1995 Dodge Ram Sport 1500-4x4 SLT Lariat yesterday, (Nov. 03/09). I found out some useful information that hopefully will ease some "Dodge minds" out there. 1) Everyone, I hope, knows about the code 37 definition: TCC, (torque convertor clutch solenoid [CKT]) or transmission temperature sensor too high or too low. *NOW*, if your "CHECK ENGINE LIGHT" is illuminated during operation, (while truck is running/ being driven), then this is your problem. *(behind Auto tranny oil filler tube, at its base, [where it "plugs" into transmission], the connector could be faulty, loose, or bad contact). *****NOW THE SECRET INFO!!!***** From the 1995 truck (Ram) manuals; Trucks with the trailer towing package, include a transmission coolant temperature SENSOR!.., with the "standard package" truck, it does not include this sensor. So... the fault code detection system is causing the low (no) voltage indication..... "NO SENSOR TO SEND ANY VOLTAGE" !! **So if you're getting code 37, BUT, the "check engine light",.. "DOES NOT" stay on during operation (while it's running or when you're driving it), this is your problem,... which means..there IS no problem. Hope this info helps, Dodge.Ismo.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:27 PM
dodge fan 001
Amateur
Default torqe converter seloniod

ok guys here we go again im haveing problems one after the other cant win. Im getting that code but, ALSO when i stop it feels like theres something holding back in the trans. sometimes if I give a little gas i feel a bump like it went into gear otherwise very sluggish of the start.This happened all of a sudden as I got off the highway. the shift is good and right there no slipping. i was told the governor i really hoping not. I feel its a pressure problem. Oh, and in the morning on start up, i have to put it in drive and reverse a few times for it to actually move. thats the best I can explain this greatly appriciate all the help i can get...
Jim

Quick Reply: Torque converter clutch solenoid circuit problem (Code 37)