DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Dodge Neon (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-neon-6/)
-   -   help with exhaust (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-neon/6321-help-with-exhaust.html)

Tony07 06-18-2004 11:08 PM

help with exhaust

i am about to purchase the mopar lip kit for my neon, however, it has two slots in the rear fascia for a daul exhaust. it recomends part number 05278624AH ... what is this part? is it an entire exhaust system or just a muffler with the tips. is it in my best or worst intrest to purchase the exhaust. a mechanic told me that any type of daul exhaust on a 4 cyclinder will not produce the proper pressure on my engine and will decrease the life on my car... thanks to anyone that can answer my questions!! :D

71RoadRunner 06-19-2004 07:24 AM

RE: help with exhaust

That mechanic is only partly right, but in your particular case he is a moron. If you try to put on a true dual exhaust, which would have two headers each one for 2 of the 4 cylinders and one pipe from each header all the way back, then it will greatly reduce the engines needed back pressure causing huge power losses in the low and mid range as well as virtually no torque at all. This would however give you big horsepower in the high RPM ranges, but there would be no torque to get it up there to make any use of it. But what your talking about is completely harmless, it just splits a second pipe off from the muffler over to the other side. This is really only a cosmetic thing that makes it look better like it has dual exhaust.

I would love to know what that part is as well, because it's not a Mopar part number. All Mopar part numbers begin with P and are usually followed by a 7 digit number with no other letters other than the first P.

sauceboy 06-19-2004 08:14 AM

it's funny you asked about that part, i just got a pamphlet from my dodge dealer today that has that part listed in it.actually, part 05278624ah is in fact a mopar part. it is listed as 'r/t style dual exhaust' and is listed at $163.00. i can't imagine it being an entire exhaust system for only $163. if anyone knows if it's an entire exhaust system, let me know, too. i might got one for myself.[sm=smiley14.gif]

Tony07 06-19-2004 06:50 PM

i actually did find the part and just ordered it. It is just a different muffler with two tips (163$) that attatches to the stock muffler with a special adapter (26$). It is the exhaust that is on the R/T. Once i recieve it an install it ill let you know how it goes. I dont think it will help performance alot, but it will certainly look better then the limp ding dong that hangs from my muffler now, hehe :D

71RoadRunner 06-20-2004 09:15 AM

Yep, I guess that the factory parts are listed that way. It's the Mopar Performance parts that are listed with the P and then 7 numbers with no letters after it.

dvgRT 06-21-2004 12:08 AM

I have that lip kit, pics here My Cardomain

71RoadRunner 06-21-2004 10:54 AM

That's a d*mn good looking R/T you've got there. The salt up there must me terrible.

dvgRT 06-21-2004 11:29 PM

ORIGINAL: 71RoadRunner

That's a d*mn good looking R/T you've got there. The salt up there must me terrible.
Thanks man! Ya winter sucks, the day those exhaust pics were taken it snowed like 12inches our worst storm of the year!

71RoadRunner 06-22-2004 07:57 AM

We use to get snow like that, but we haven't had a real good snow fall in quite a few years. I actually miss it.[sm=smiley19.gif]

Tony07 07-06-2004 10:52 AM

that lip kit looks awsome, ive been wanting to get it for some time now... were did u buy it from and how much? Im kinda upset though because for some time i though the front bumper in the kit was very similar to the SRT-4 bumper.

I also purchased that RT style exhaust. For someone who is looking for an exhaust system that is cat-back... this part is awsome, it gave me a marginal boost in power (but it is noticeable -- slightly) and also looks great.