Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

help with exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 11:08 PM
Tony07
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with exhaust

i am about to purchase the mopar lip kit for my neon, however, it has two slots in the rear fascia for a daul exhaust. it recomends part number 05278624AH ... what is this part? is it an entire exhaust system or just a muffler with the tips. is it in my best or worst intrest to purchase the exhaust. a mechanic told me that any type of daul exhaust on a 4 cyclinder will not produce the proper pressure on my engine and will decrease the life on my car... thanks to anyone that can answer my questions!!

Old 06-19-2004, 07:24 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: help with exhaust

That mechanic is only partly right, but in your particular case he is a moron. If you try to put on a true dual exhaust, which would have two headers each one for 2 of the 4 cylinders and one pipe from each header all the way back, then it will greatly reduce the engines needed back pressure causing huge power losses in the low and mid range as well as virtually no torque at all. This would however give you big horsepower in the high RPM ranges, but there would be no torque to get it up there to make any use of it. But what your talking about is completely harmless, it just splits a second pipe off from the muffler over to the other side. This is really only a cosmetic thing that makes it look better like it has dual exhaust.

I would love to know what that part is as well, because it's not a Mopar part number. All Mopar part numbers begin with P and are usually followed by a 7 digit number with no other letters other than the first P.

Old 06-19-2004, 08:14 AM
sauceboy
Professional

it's funny you asked about that part, i just got a pamphlet from my dodge dealer today that has that part listed in it.actually, part 05278624ah is in fact a mopar part. it is listed as 'r/t style dual exhaust' and is listed at $163.00. i can't imagine it being an entire exhaust system for only $163. if anyone knows if it's an entire exhaust system, let me know, too. i might got one for myself.[sm=smiley14.gif]

Old 06-19-2004, 06:50 PM
Tony07

i actually did find the part and just ordered it. It is just a different muffler with two tips (163$) that attatches to the stock muffler with a special adapter (26$). It is the exhaust that is on the R/T. Once i recieve it an install it ill let you know how it goes. I dont think it will help performance alot, but it will certainly look better then the limp ding dong that hangs from my muffler now, hehe

Old 06-20-2004, 09:15 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

Yep, I guess that the factory parts are listed that way. It's the Mopar Performance parts that are listed with the P and then 7 numbers with no letters after it.

Old 06-21-2004, 12:08 AM
dvgRT

I have that lip kit, pics here My Cardomain

Old 06-21-2004, 10:54 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

That's a d*mn good looking R/T you've got there. The salt up there must me terrible.

Old 06-21-2004, 11:29 PM
dvgRT

ORIGINAL: 71RoadRunner

That's a d*mn good looking R/T you've got there. The salt up there must me terrible.
Thanks man! Ya winter sucks, the day those exhaust pics were taken it snowed like 12inches our worst storm of the year!

Old 06-22-2004, 07:57 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

We use to get snow like that, but we haven't had a real good snow fall in quite a few years. I actually miss it.[sm=smiley19.gif]

Old 07-06-2004, 10:52 AM
Tony07

that lip kit looks awsome, ive been wanting to get it for some time now... were did u buy it from and how much? Im kinda upset though because for some time i though the front bumper in the kit was very similar to the SRT-4 bumper.

I also purchased that RT style exhaust. For someone who is looking for an exhaust system that is cat-back... this part is awsome, it gave me a marginal boost in power (but it is noticeable -- slightly) and also looks great.

Quick Reply: help with exhaust