Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Legal Or Illigal?¿?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 10:11 PM
htownneon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Legal Or Illigal?¿?

Here in Texas, or at least Houston, LED's and Neons are fine as long as the neon itself is not visible. The light produced from it is o.k. though. In other words it has to be behind a bumber or something.

Old 07-09-2004, 02:00 PM
KlerricK
Professional

95DodgeNeon -

I live in PA too and work for Tweeter where we sell the street glow underbody kits and here's the scoop... They are ILLEGAL to have on while driving. They are meant for show purposes only. If a cop does catch you rolling around with them on, get ready for a hefty ticket. However it is NOT ILLEGAL to sit in a parking lot with a few of your buddies and have them on. The reason why these things are illegal to have on while driving is simple. You can cause distractions with other drivers and have them careen of the road (which is fun to watch, but get outta there REAL quick!! ) So play it safe, and unless your building a show car that will sit and look pretty up on a grassy area as hundreds of people mill around, put the money into PERFORMANCE! It would be nice to have the competition see your tail lights, not your underbody kit!

Old 07-09-2004, 02:13 PM
shiltz
Captain

ORIGINAL: red91RT

Ya, you know, when my wife and I bought a DVD setup for the new suburban we read a little warning about that in the Eddi Bower packaging. I certainly understand why, and we've never put a monitor up front (it's to keep the kids occupied while going to grandma's) I had to wonder: What does that mean with all those aftermarket head units that have a pull out/flip up monitor. There can't be that many states that have outlawed it or you'd think the radio manufacturers wouldn't bother making them for sale.

Any thoughts? Just curious how many states outlaw it and how many of those type of head units they sell.
don't think they could outlaw those are they meet the legal requirements in which when hooked up properly you can not watch movies on the front monitor unless the car is in park, the only thing I could see them doing is requiring the companies making them to make it much harder to disable that as right now from what I read it's extreamly easy to disable that so you can watch movies while the car is in drive. the biggest hastle would be getting pulled over with one cause they think you're watching a movie which is illegal when infact you just have the display on for the stereo controls or GPS.

Old 07-09-2004, 02:20 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

driving on public roads with underbody OR interior neon is illegal. ive been pulled over driving through a parking lot with my interior neons on..

i live outside of pittsburgh,,,

Old 07-10-2004, 09:15 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since you were in a parking lot and not on a public street you should easily be able to have fought and won it.[sm=smiley2.gif]

Old 07-11-2004, 03:53 PM
KlerricK
Professional

ORIGINAL: shiltz

don't think they could outlaw those are they meet the legal requirements in which when hooked up properly you can not watch movies on the front monitor unless the car is in park, the only thing I could see them doing is requiring the companies making them to make it much harder to disable that as right now from what I read it's extreamly easy to disable that so you can watch movies while the car is in drive. the biggest hastle would be getting pulled over with one cause they think you're watching a movie which is illegal when infact you just have the display on for the stereo controls or GPS.

Well, some companies like Pioneer or Eclipse are really easy to bypass. Alpine is probably the hardest b/c you have to install switches to get it done. Only a sequence involving the foot brake and the E-brake allow you to watch a movie. Navigation is something you can use to navigate through unfamiliar terrain, but it is wired so that you can only input an address when the E-brake is engaged. Obviously just like with the DVD aspect of things, they want you watching the road, not the screen. That's why Navigation has voice guidance, so you don't even have to take your eyes off of the road, just listen to the voice. It's pretty cool stuff...

Old 07-11-2004, 04:01 PM
KlerricK
Professional

ORIGINAL: red91RT

Ya, you know, when my wife and I bought a DVD setup for the new suburban we read a little warning about that in the Eddi Bower packaging. I certainly understand why, and we've never put a monitor up front (it's to keep the kids occupied while going to grandma's) I had to wonder: What does that mean with all those aftermarket head units that have a pull out/flip up monitor. There can't be that many states that have outlawed it or you'd think the radio manufacturers wouldn't bother making them for sale.

Any thoughts? Just curious how many states outlaw it and how many of those type of head units they sell.
Well, basically they sell for 2 reasons... 1) Kids who have the money to get the good ones want to have a high cool factor in their car. Not a whole ton of people have these things. 2) parents will get them for their minivans/SUVs and this is b/c the screens have video outputs for headrest screens of flip down screens so the parents can have complete control over what their young ones are watching. Also, when you (certainly not me!!) buy an Excursion monstrosity you can have a back up camera installed in the rear so you can see what it is you are about to nail with your gas-guzzling tank. Real helpful for those soccer moms who feel the need to be encased in steel...

Quick Reply: Legal Or Illigal?¿?