Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Motor Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 06:12 PM
r/tBAMF
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor Swap?

Im new to this forum, and i had a quick question. i have a 2001 neon r/t, and its pretty quick, but id like it to be faster. my question is i wanted to swap in an srt-4 motor and turbo in, i wantd to know if anyone has done this and if they could tell me where i could find the motor, and about how much it cost.......or any advice in general is welcome. thanks

Old 07-25-2006, 03:19 AM
Bunta Fujiwara
Rookie
Default RE: Motor Swap?

yeah...it can be done.

Actually easy. I forgot who all has done this in that year Neon, but look in the 2nd Generation fourm and im sure you will find what ur looking for. I will post a like if I find which thread it was.

Old 07-25-2006, 01:50 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

Just for the hell of it, here is everything you need to do the swap succesfully and completely!

[ul][*]Engine and Tranny[*]Complete Engine Wiring Harness [*]Complete Engine Bay Wiring Harness [*]Power Steering Pump, lines, and cooler [*]Clutch master and slave cylinder [*]Clutch/Brake Pedal assembly [*]Intercooler Piping [*]Intercooler [*]Radiator Hoses [*]Tranny, Upper and Lower Motor Mounts (the holes are larger on the the upper and lower mounts for larger bolts and the tranny mount is completely different) [*]SRT PCM (wont' need the bracket with 03+) [*]Axles (and half shaft if it isn't on the engine) [*]Coolant Bottle [*]Fuel Line from tank to engine bay [*]Fuel Pump [*]Flex Fuel line from solid fuel line to fuel rail [*]Short evap hose that comes from the purge valve [*]All vacuum lines and the 3 selonids [*]o2 Sensors [*]Turbo Housing + o2 Housing [*]Lower Control Arms (they're stronger yet the same in shape) [*]Sentry Key Module + Key that matches the PCM VIN number. [*]Radiator (aren't totally sure if this is an absolute need) [*]Radiator Fans (it's a dual fan setup) [*]Shift Cables
[/ul]

Some things that would be good to upgrade...

[ul][*]SRT Power steering rack (it's shorter) [*]Knuckles [*]Flexiable Brake Lines [*]Calipers [*]Rotors[*]SRT Struts
[/ul]

Old 07-26-2006, 06:27 PM
djmagic
Record Breaker

Try the dealer and whatever they can't get, try a performance shop.

Old 07-30-2006, 02:50 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

dealer = $$$
"performance shop" = $$$$$

Neither will have any clue what you are trying to do or how to help.

Salvage yard = $
Searching various forums on-line for tips = free

You can do a SRT-4 swap into a 1st gen for $4k, give or take. Your best bet is to find an SRT-4 that has been rolled and still has a working engine.

Another option is to turbo your current engine. With a head gasket spacer and an extra head gasket, you'll lower compression enough to be more realistic for a turbo. There are ver nice adapters out there for putting the SRT-4 manifold/turbo assembly on your existing head. Upgrade the fuel pump, add fuel control, spend some time at the dyno, and you'll have spent maybe $1k to get roughly the same HP as a stock SRT-4 motor (and a lot less work). Upgrading the clutch will be required, of course. And upgraded axles and a LSD are always a good idea for any Neon that gets put to good use.

Best of luck!

Old 08-12-2006, 01:37 AM
rrwertz
Professional

ORIGINAL: RadarLove

dealer = $$$
"performance shop" = $$$$$

Neither will have any clue what you are trying to do or how to help.

You can do a SRT-4 swap into a 1st gen for $4k, give or take. Your best bet is to find an SRT-4 that has been rolled and still has a working engine.

Another option is to turbo your current engine. With a head gasket spacer and an extra head gasket, you'll lower compression enough to be more realistic for a turbo. There are ver nice adapters out there for putting the SRT-4 manifold/turbo assembly on your existing head. Upgrade the fuel pump, add fuel control, spend some time at the dyno, and you'll have spent maybe $1k to get roughly the same HP as a stock SRT-4 motor (and a lot less work). Upgrading the clutch will be required, of course. And upgraded axles and a LSD are always a good idea for any Neon that gets put to good use.
Best of luck!
turboing your engine is the cheaper way, but you're only going to be able to run low boost. Build your own 2.4 with srt internals. 2.4's are pretty cheap nowadays. build it right, and you get to keep driving the car.

Quick Reply: Motor Swap?