Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Spongy brake problem on '97...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 02:07 AM
JustOneOldMan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spongy brake problem on '97...

I've searched the forums, but didn't see anything that quite answered my question. My brother has a '97 Neon that we can't seem to bring the brakes up on (spongy). Basically, the brakes were working fine till the front left locked up the other day. We changed the caliper, noticed the line should be changed and did that, and pulled the master cylinder to check it. After the caliper and line were changed, we bench bled the master and replaced it. Since then we haven't been able to get the pedal to come back up.

We replaced the master (bench bled first) which did nothing. We've tried the recommended bleed sequence. After a few pints, then quarts of fluid and no air at all coming out of the bleeders there is no improvement. We've bled them with the engine running, the engine off, the engine off and all pressure off the accumulator, and almost every combination of things we could think of. We've been bleeding brakes for about half a century, so this is getting quite frustrating. Adjusting the rod at the booster can bring the pads out till they rub all the time with no noticeable difference in pedal pressure.

Both masters appear to be good, they're the correct part, there is no bulge in any hose with pressure applied, and no leak anywhere. The seals in the calipers and rear wheel cylinders are good. When bleeding, no air comes out the bleeders. Would anyone have any idea what might be going on here?

Thanks for any help or advice...

Old 08-01-2006, 03:20 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Spongy brake problem on '97...

Have y'all checked the return springs?

Old 08-01-2006, 03:26 PM
SolarNeon

I would find a shop with a good power bleeder some of these newer cars are hard to bleed with a master cyl so low in comparison to the wheels I realize that will cost money probably but it seems your chasin your own tail with the problem right now

Old 08-01-2006, 08:48 PM
JustOneOldMan

Thanks for the replies. The return springs seem to be fine, I guess we'll try a power bleeder. Never had to do that before, but with the reasonable cost we'll probably just buy one so we'll have it. Thanks again...

Quick Reply: Spongy brake problem on '97...