Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

2001 Neon, error code 37

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 08:42 PM
jpursel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Neon, error code 37

My son has a 2001 Plymouth Neon LS and his check engine light recently came on. The error code is 37, which I know is the "Torque converter clutch solinoid circuit or park/neutral switch failure". He's only home from college for the 4th of July weekend and I'd like to get it fixed. Any ideas of where to start looking? Any one had this error code and fixed it? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-02-2004, 09:28 PM
red91RT
Veteran
Default RE: 2001 Neon, error code 37

If you can afford an actron scanner from an autoparts store it may do you some good, but here's was 1995 manual says about 37:

It's DRB tool code P0743 indicating toque converter clutch solenoid CKT---open/shorted condition in torque converter part throttle unlock olenoid control circuit.

Or it's DRB tool code P1899 Park/Neutral Switch Failure --- Incorrect input state dectectd for the switch.

I think that pretty much narrows it down. You can test/replace the neutral switch--I'm guessing the most likely thing. Or you can go chasing after the short. I think if it was me I'd try to find the switch at a dealer before the parts counter closes for three days for the holiday and if the part was $60 or less try it out.

Old 07-03-2004, 05:02 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hmm..if you would have posted this about an hour earlier today, i could have looked it up at work for you. if you dont have the problem solved by monday, feel free to PM me, and i will see what i can do!

Old 08-31-2006, 12:13 AM
dead man walking

Hello. I have the same deal - check engine is on. And the vehicle failed emissions test, the receipt says that there is fault code "P0743 - torque converter clutch circuit electrical".

I dont see how it would affect emissions.

Can somebody give me some advice on that, please?

Old 09-10-2006, 09:47 PM
flamingpinhead
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

ORIGINAL: dead man walking

Hello. I have the same deal - check engine is on. And the vehicle failed emissions test, the receipt says that there is fault code "P0743 - torque converter clutch circuit electrical".

take it to a shady garage that will pass it

Old 01-29-2011, 01:02 PM
rednekwizard

Originally Posted by dead man walking

Smog stations will fail or reject a vehicle that has a check egine light on whether it passes or not, they did the same thing with my 95 neon that has the error code 37.

I replaced the neutral safety switch, and cleaned the plug for the part throttle solenoid, unfortunately it hasn't helped, dodge has issues with all of their neons doing this and replacing the solenoid isn't that easy, unless you like taking transmissions apart.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:47 PM
leprechaun1874
Professional

Originally Posted by rednekwizard
Smog stations will fail or reject a vehicle that has a check egine light on whether it passes or not, they did the same thing with my 95 neon that has the error code 37.

I replaced the neutral safety switch, and cleaned the plug for the part throttle solenoid, unfortunately it hasn't helped, dodge has issues with all of their neons doing this and replacing the solenoid isn't that easy, unless you like taking transmissions apart.
I think he has gotten the problem fixed in the 5 years since this thread was started.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:52 PM
rednekwizard

Originally Posted by leprechaun1874
I think he has gotten the problem fixed in the 5 years since this thread was started.
Either that or he sold it or burned it.
I on the other hand am still looking for a fix and nobody bothers to post what they found to be wrong or how they fixed it.
I have checked wires and replaced wires and nothing has fixed it, the sad part is, it would be easier to just change the whole trans.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:15 AM
KyleGray

hi can any one help p0743 how to fix it neon 00 3 speed how to check it car drive nice but big bad e test failed hard to fix it when drives good lol HELP THANKS

Old 05-22-2013, 01:17 AM
KyleGray

OR HOW TO FAKE IT so the light off lol

Quick Reply: 2001 Neon, error code 37